Tips for Keeping up With Your Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Remember the New Year’s resolutions you made three weeks ago? Maybe it was about working out everyday or not spending any more money on food? No? That’s okay, I’ve put them out of my mind, too. So here are some ways to help you keep your resolutions on track and tips to keep up with them.

1. Write your resolutions down in a place where you can see them everyday.

If you are really serious about your resolutions, you should put them in a place where they’re visible. This way, you are reminded to keep those resolutions in mind as you carry out your day. Personally, I listed my resolutions in the front page of my planner and I leave a list on my desk so that when I’m sitting, I can see it. Another great way is to write your resolutions on a mini whiteboard in your room. If you at least glance at it once a day, you’ll think about the commitments you wanted to make for the year.

2. Minimize your resolutions.

If you can’t keep up with one specific resolution, then maybe 2018 isn’t the year for you to concentrate on that specific one. And don’t feel guilty about! This just means that your priorities are elsewhere. Obviously throughout the year, things will change. For example, if your resolution was to work out everyday and it was too much for you, maybe you can change it to three times a day.

3. Try not to do everything at once.

Don’t think you have to do all your resolutions in one day. Go one step at a time and when you are ready to aim for that certain goal, then go for it! Sometimes you can start your resolution weeks, or even months later. There is no set rule when to start it, as long as you are ready and willing to commit to it. Work towards your goal one step at a time.

4. Talk to someone about it.

Sometimes, getting support from your friends or family is a great way to keep up with your resolutions. It may give you a boost of encouragement to keep going. And if you have any problems, it always feels nice to share the struggles or the positivity of your resolutions. Plus, resolutions can be much more fun if you go through them with your friends or family!

5. Be realistic.

One of the most difficult challenges with resolutions is that most of the time, they aren’t as realistic as you think they are. Later in the year, you might realize that the goal you made is literally impossible. So if you need to change it up, it’s okay. The best way to make a realistic resolution is to make a time plan. Make sub goals to your actual goal. This may seem a little complicated, but it’s the best way to know the difference between realistic and unrealistic.

6. Don’t pressure yourself.

Just because you couldn’t work out your goal into your daily schedule for a couple days, that does not mean you should quit! You should maybe see this as a sign to schedule your resolutions in a different way; one where it can work out with your other daily activities. In reality, resolutions are more like guidelines and you should have fun doing them. Don’t let yourself down and more importantly, don’t give up!

Hopefully these tips will help you to a great start to 2018! Good luck!

Picture Credits: Cover Image, Image 1, Image 2, Image 3

Gargi is currently part time editorial team member at Her Campus as a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her hobbies include drawing, blogging and painting. You would most likely catch Gargi eating Panera and binge watching to New Girl or Once Upon A Time. Although she is a biology major, she find writing inspiring and a way to express feelings that she can't say in person. She sees herself working in the Public Health field in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!