Things I’ve Found While Dumpster Diving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Most people’s first reaction to the idea of dumpster diving is repulsiveness…until I show them pictures of the items I have recovered from this activity. Immediately, disgust turns into astonishment and jealousy or desire to go with me so that they, too, can find free things! I write this article not only to help end the stigma against this activity, but to bring awareness for people who live on low budgets or cannot afford necessary items that can easily be salvaged from their local dumpster. Below, I have pictured items that have all been recovered from dumpsters and are entirely sealed in packages.

Pictured above is makeup that I collected in bulk and will likely sell online for a little extra income, NYX Cream Highlight & Contour Palettes ($15 each) and NYX HydraTouch brightener crayons ($9 each). Again, this hobby not only helps you save money, but make money, too! I get to keep items for myself, give items to friends and sell items online for some extra pocket money!

While the idea of pulling food from dumpsters initially sounds appalling, all of the food pictured above as well as the rest of the food I get from dumpsters are all in completely sealed packages. All of the snacks pictured above are still good to eat, and never came in contact with anything gross. Most of the time, stores will clear shelves of food that will be expiring within the month, and double bag the food before throwing it away. Stores are required to follow certain rules in regard to expiration dates, but this does not mean the food is spoiled or inedible. This little lot was absolutely free and will feed me on my morning walks to class for a few weeks.

I have a cat, and being a pet owner and full-time college student can be a struggle sometimes, especially when it comes to finances. Pictured above are two bags of cat food, a bag of cat litter and a huge bag of Blue Buffalo dog food. I have not had to buy cat litter in months, and I have so much cat food that I don’t know what to do with it all. It makes me feel so good to be able to help other pet owners out with pet food and toys, especially when they struggle financially, and the money I am not spending on cat items can better go towards other necessities.

Pictured above is more pet food and cat toys, along with a gold Casa Urban plant stand.

Yes, even jewelry can be found in a dumpster! Pictured above is an Adrienne Vittadini necklace and earring set (left) and a Lux accessories necklace and earring set (right). These are just a few pieces from an entire box of jewelry that I pulled from a dumpster – some were just missing a chain that I could easily repair to make them look as good as new! It is fun finding jewelry that I wouldn’t likely buy on my own and experimenting with new looks. The feeling of satisfaction cannot be beat.

Not Pictured

These pictures highlight some of my favorite items found while dumpster diving. Some other items not pictured but that have been found (in bulk) include cold and flu medicine, Turbie Twist® shower caps, The Wet Brushes, Poise pads, adult diapers, Air heads, Dove chocolates, cookies, banana chips, trail mix, dog treats, dog vitamins, miscellaneous cords, glitter, bangles, shower products and laundry products!

For more information and advice on how I find all of this cool stuff, check out my other article, Tips and Tricks of Dumpster Diving!

Photo Credits: Cover, Eleanor Ritzman

Jillian Shank is a Senior at Virginia Commonwealth University and this is her second semester on the Editorial Team for Her Campus. She enjoys writing poetry and teaching her cat, Milo, tricks! 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!