Life > Academics

The Reality Of Being A First-Generation Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

My name is Irelyn Rogan and I am a first-generation college student. This is a fact that many do not know about me, including some of my closest friends. Being a first-gen student means that both of your parents never completed college—or even attended college. 

Personally, both of my parents attended college but dropped out shortly after entering. I am so proud of myself for going to college and beating the stereotype that was cast on my family. However, being first-gen also makes me feel like an outcast at times.

I feel that I am constantly surrounded by peers who are better than me. Better than me because their parents have degrees, make more money or have alma maters. The list goes on. Or, they’re better than me because they don’t need financial aid, they obviously work harder and obviously have a more deserving spot because of who their parents are. This negative self-talk is called the impostor phenomenon. This phenomenon is an experience that almost every first-gen student I know has gone through. It is the feeling that you do not belong where you are—that you are an impostor in your own life. It’s a very out-of-body experience and can lead to a lot of spiraling thoughts. There will be days when I sit in class and cannot even focus because I feel that I do not belong—that I am not good enough to be in the space that I am in. 

In addition, all of my closest friends have parents who went to college and are extremely successful. They make more money than my family, and I have always felt less than them because of that. Writing it out, I know these thoughts are silly, but I can’t help but think about them. 

On the other hand, being a first-generation student can be one of the most rewarding experiences. The empowerment that I have felt since entering college is unbelievable. The fact that I have gotten myself here and can juggle so many things at once blows my own mind sometimes. 

One of my favorite parts of being a first-generation college student at VCU is the YouFirst program. The YouFirst program is full of facilities, staff, students and alumni that are all first-gen, and it creates such a beautiful community. It is one of my greatest honors as a college student to be a part of this program. Within YouFirst, I am also a peer mentor. Currently, I am a mentor to three freshmen students who have quickly become some of my dear friends. These mentorship relationships have led me to grow as a leader, student and person overall. This opportunity has also given me more perspective and community in being a first-gen student. 

Being first-gen is not easy by any means, but it is such an empowering experience. It provides you with many learning experiences, opportunities, and growth and provides you with such an amazing community. I am proud to be a first-generation student and am excited to see where my college career will take me.

Irelyn Rogan is studying Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Irelyn is a third-year student, and this is her fifth semester as a HerCampus journalist! She is very interested in lifestyle, pop culture, and entertainment in general.