galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Life > Experiences

The Best Way To Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Galentine’s Day was first showcased in an episode of Parks and Recreation and since then it has been one of the most popular holidays celebrated. It is a day dedicated to the celebration of female friendships! It was never until I met my amazing roommates in college that I truly learned the value of Galentine’s Day and how to properly celebrate it. With that being said, here are a few ways my roommates and I have celebrated Galentine’s Day – 

• Movie night

Apartment 107 is HUGE on movie nights. We tend to rent a projector from the library and camp out in our basement with a few of our other friends. Our first year we watched “To All The Boys P.S. I Still Love You,” ordered a pizza and baked chocolate chip cookies. It was a night to just spend time with each other and take a step back from our busy schedules. And it’s always fun to stay in with your friends and analyze the various decisions and actions of Lara Jean. 

• Cook

My roommates and I also love to cook together on Galentine’s Day. This year we’re making pasta and baking a strawberry cream cheesecake. We also make it a point to go grocery shopping together, and we each choose one ingredient that we want to incorporate into our dish. So this year, for example, one of my roommates chose Rigatoni pasta and I went with a three-cheese marinara sauce and my other roommates chose to incorporate spinach and mushrooms into the dish. 

• Brunch

I feel like this one is a classic Galentine’s Day tradition that you can’t miss out on! I recall one year my roommates and I went to Lulu’s for Brunch in Richmond, and we had the most amazing red velvet waffles with pecan cream cheese (highly recommended!). What’s better than spending time with your girlfriends, dressing up and eating yummy foods?

• Study Date 

This one is a bit out of the ordinary but my roommates and I are all STEM majors so you could expect us to have hectic schedules over the month of February with assignments, exams and project deadlines. In my first year of college, we all just went out on a study date at a local coffee shop in Carytown and spent 3-4 hours just studying together. It was not as exciting as getting brunch or cooking together but it was an activity that we could do together – and we got some work done too so that was a plus! 

Galentine’s Day is a day to celebrate your female friendships and the women in your life that empower you and help you rise to your full potential. Any activity that involves all your girlfriends is the best way to celebrate this amazing occasion, whether that be cramming for your exam or getting Brunch. So as the very infamous Leslie Knope puts it – “What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year.” Have a very happy Galentine’s Day, ladies! 

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.