The Best Comfort Movies For Sick Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

College students’ immune systems are annually at risk of colds, seasonal allergies, and the flu. Now, COVID-19 and the mysterious “dorm flu” have only added to the pot, leaving many students to fall ill before they have even settled back into the school year. When I came down with a sinus infection, all I wanted was the perfect movie to watch while I recovered. After searching and scrolling, I found the best comfort movies to catch on each popular streaming platform. 

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs” (Netflix)

A fun kid’s cartoon might be the perfect home remedy to lift your mood while you get better. This bright dream-like delight is a must for easy watching and a good laugh at every turn. Even though this is a kid’s movie, it’s one of those stories that speak to all ages. Anna Farris, Neil Patrick Harris and Andy Samberg all voice this imaginative story about a young inventor who forever changes his sleepy hometown.

Hunger Games” (Hulu)

Remember running to the book fair to get your copy of Suzanne Collins’ hit series? Escape into the dystopian world of Panem all over again with the “Hunger Games” series. The 2012 hit movie’s commentary feels even more relevant today as injustice increases all over the world. The story is only uplifted by the cast of now-household names such as Jennifer Lawrence. Being sick sucks, but at least you aren’t fighting for your life in an arena.

Napoleon Dynamite” (Prime)

If you’re missing your friends while staying in, this pick is perfect. This story about a pair of unlikely friends is one you can’t help but smile at all the way through. “Napoleon Dynamite,” one of the most iconic off-beat comedies made to date, centers around a high school class president election. Topped with quirky 80s and 90s cinematic touches that transport you to another reality, this feel-good story is the perfect thing to watch. 

Finding Nemo” (Disney Plus)

Get ready to dive under the sea. Almost any early 2000’s Disney movie will bring back the warmest feelings, but nothing compares to the familiarity of “Finding Nemo.” Want to test your memory? See how many memorable scenes from the movie you can still quote. Grab a bowl of soup and curl up to watch this classic adventure story for guaranteed increased serotonin. 

13 Going On 30” (HBO Max)

Feel-good romances always fit the bar when you’re feeling low. This 2004 rom-com about never losing your inner child hit different for me as a twenty-year-old viewer nearing real adulthood. Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo make the perfect couple in this cheeky romance about second chances. While you’re sick and taking a step away from the distractions of a busy daily schedule, films like this can pull things in perspective and allow you to appreciate the present.

Being sick may have you bummed out, but this list of classics is sure to boost your mood on your way to recovery.

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.