The ‘Barbie’ Movie: What Is It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Come on, Barbie, let’s go party! But what party are we going to? 

The new movie “Barbie” has been sweeping social media over the past month, but what is the premise of the movie? Between the TikTok trends, memes and random celebrities involved in the production, it has been difficult to gauge if this movie is aimed at children or adults… and if it’s actually happening. 

For those confused, I can confirm that the movie is legit and is being released on July 21! It’s rated PG-13, so it’s more of a big-kid and adult movie rather than one for the little ones.

This came as a big surprise to me, as when I first saw information about the film last year, I figured it was for kids. In comparison to the classic “Princess in the Piper,” the new “Barbie” is a bit more raunchy and out-there comedy-wise. 

Margot Robbie, the new Barbie, was genuinely surprised to hear that their movie got picked up for production, as the concept is very silly and may not engage the more traditional audiences. The movie is aimed to be more satirical and reflects on the real world rather than the fantasy land of Barbie we all know and love. 

Barbie and Ken (played by Ryan Gosling) begin their journey in their fantasy world. When Barbie gets expelled from the world for not being ”perfect enough” and not using the “typical mold” of a Barbie, the couple takes on the real world to see what it’s all about.  

Personally, I find this to be a very intriguing concept and am excited to see how it plays out in theaters. I like the more real-life approach the movie takes; I feel that it’s very reflective of the American culture of perfectionism.

Barbie was expelled from her old world for wearing eccentric clothing and not fitting the mold. I feel that all humans have felt like they do not fit the typical American mold of beauty at one point or another. So, I think that this movie may actually be relatable for most. 

I asked some of my peers how they felt about the upcoming “Barbie” movie and if they planned to see it in theaters.

Freshman Allie Snyder said she would go see “Barbie” because “It seems like it will be a very interesting take on the typical Barbie cinematic universe; the cast list also seems amazing, and [she thinks] Margot Robbie is gorgeous.” I totally agree.

I think this new take on the Barbie movie will be extremely interesting, and Robbie and Gosling are excellent actors who’ll blow this out of the park! In contrast, freshman Jenny Mitchell said that she wouldn’t go see the movie because “[She hasn’t] watched any of the other Barbie movies.”

I love that she made this point because if you weren’t a Barbie kid, why go see the film? Although the new movie seems to bring a fresh face to Barbie, the background of Barbie is rooted in the old cartoons that were popular in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

What do you think? Are you going to give the new “Barbie” a chance?

Irelyn Rogan is studying Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Irelyn is a third-year student, and this is her fifth semester as a HerCampus journalist! She is very interested in lifestyle, pop culture, and entertainment in general.