A Thank You Letter to My Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear birth control,

Hey old friend! After all the political hubbub these past few weeks, I realized that I have never thanked you for all that you have done for me. Truthfully, though, this thank you feels like one of those moments in disaster film where a couple has an argument, forcing one partner to leave in a dramatic fury, unbeknownst to either of them that it will be the last time they see each other alive. Typically, a massive earthquake or alien invasion triggers mass destruction and separates the couple, leaving them feeling terrified and guilty that the last time they will ever be together was spent arguing about nothing very important at all.

In our case though, BC, you and I are the ill-fated lovers. The impending doom, on the other hand, is not an alien invasion, but the possibility that, in the future, I might not be able to afford or have access to you. Realizing such a staggering tidbit is overwhelming, and I don’t like to think about it. But, I know that I must, and I know that the first step in addressing it is making darn sure that you understand how much you mean to me.

I am scared, my hormonally-infused friend. If my fears become a reality, I would be at a loss without you, as you quite literally keep me sane. When my gynecologist first introduced us, I admitted that I had been having trouble with horrible mood swings, which were arguably my worst symptoms every time I had PMS. My anger and sadness were ruining my relationships with my boyfriend and friends, and causing me to be unfocused and unmotivated in school. You saved me from my emotions and immensely improved my social life. I was less depressed and anxious, and even though those mental health problems still prevail, I can trust that they are not terrifyingly enhanced for seven days every four weeks. Thank you for giving me the chance to be a happier person.

In addition to improving my mood, you have saved me a lot of past and future pain over the years. I used to have impossibly painful periods, inhibiting my desire or ability to do much of anything. I would stay home from school and skip sports because the only thing I truly felt like I could do was crawl into a hole with my heating pad and die there. To top it all off, my periods were irregular, so I could never accurately predict when, exactly, I would need to put my life on hold. You allowed me to be not be at the mercy of my menstrual cycle. As soon as I started taking you, I reclaimed my life. I no longer felt like death warmed over and could do all of the things I love without worrying that I’d pass out from pain.

BC, thank you, thank you, thank you. I cannot say it enough, as you have greatly improved my life. I am so thankful for all you have done. I can only hope that, in the years to come, we can stay together, as you have given me the opportunity to take control of my body and health, something that I am terrified of losing, in any capacity. Here’s to many more years of this beautiful relationship.

With love and appreciation,

A very grateful lady

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!