A Thank You Letter to My Best Friend Since Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To my best friend since childhood,

You’re the one that never left me. Through all of our middle school drama, horrible dating decisions, angsty pre-teen years and stress of high school we somehow managed to stick together. I really don’t think I can thank you enough for that — anyone who stuck with me through my awkward middle school scene phase should honestly be given a medal. I don’t know how you did it, but you did, and I don’t think I’ll be able to thank you enough.

We went from playing tag at recess to spending hours getting ready for homecoming (which we now look back on the pictures and cringe, because why would you EVER let me buy that horrible dress) and doing everything in between. Friends come and go, and we certainly had our fair share of fights, drama and periods of not talking, but I know that in the end you’ll be in my wedding and the godmother to my kids, if we don’t get married first. Enough people started rumors that we were gay for each other in middle school, so why stop there? (Kidding. Mostly. If we’re both still single by 45, I’m proposing)

I’ve met all of your boyfriends before things got too serious to give them the coveted stamp of approval — because if I didn’t like him, he was out. You became such a fixture at my house, and I at yours, that our families thought it was weird when we weren’t together. Your mom is my second mom and the same goes for mine. I could find the bathroom in your house blindfolded, I’ve been there so many times. You saw me through all of my acne, braces, bad haircuts and bad makeup decisions and still chose to be seen in public with me and reassure me that no, that volcano on my forehead wasn’t THAT obvious when it totally was. We went from picking out earrings at Claire’s at 12 to picking out our graduation dresses together at 18, and there’s nothing in between I would change — except for the times you had to hold my hair back (those nights I kind of regret).

Thank you for being you, for covering for me when I said I was going to your place, for being there with chocolate and holding back a rightful “I told you so” when whatever jerk at the time dumped me, for always being down to get McDonald’s with me at 4 a.m. We’ve had our fair share of getting involved with other friends, but whenever we hang out again it always feels like no time has passed at all. Thank you for knowing my Taco Bell order by heart, texting me back (almost) instantly even though we both suck at texting and always being my shoulder to cry on or lift me up whenever I need it.

We both left for our separate colleges 200 miles away with no doubt in our minds that we would kick long-distance friendship in the ass, and it’s been over a year and we’re still killing it (as evidenced by our Snapchat streak). You’re one of the only people that I would absolutely leave a date for to answer your phone call, and I know you would do the same for me. There’s legitimately no one else like you in the world and I’m so glad we found each other and became inseparable in elementary school. Middle and high school were rough on our friendship, but we came out of it stronger than ever before. 

If soulmates can be platonic then you’re definitely mine. Thank you for all you do, whether it’s binging Broad City for hours or sending me a pizza from 200 miles away because I’m having a shitty day. Thank you for being the Iliana to my Abbi, the Nicki to my Beyonce, the Ann to my Leslie. You’re one of the best things to ever happen to me and I love you with all my heart. Thank you a million times for everything you do for me and for being you; I truly do not know what I would do without you. 

Xoxo,

Your best friend since childhood

Photos: cover, gif 1, 2

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!