Tea vs Coffee: The Great Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Caffeine is certainly no stranger to the average, sleep deprived, strung out college student. A combination of deadlines and the impending uncertainty of adulthood has turned us all into Jesse from that one episode of “Saved by the Bell.” 

But putting the possible caffeine addiction aside, the most important question still stands: which caffeinated beverage reigns supreme?

Tea vs. Coffee. Leaves vs. Beans. It’s a battle as old as time and everyone has an opinion. So enough stalling, let’s decide once and for all which drink takes the crown.   

Health Benefits:

Good news to tea drinkers, according to nutritionist Cynthia Sass, tea is rich with antioxidants that prevent inflammation and blood vessel hardening.

It’s also an anti-aging agent. According to a 2012 study, tea drinkers have been shown to have a younger biological age than non-drinkers.

However, tea may also a have a negative effect on your iron levels. In a 1982 study, drinking tea with a meal resulted in a 62 percent reduction in iron absorption while coffee was at 35 percent.

Coffee’s health benefits are numerous, including protection against type two diabetes. In a Harvard study, researchers found that people who drink three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from some diseases.

But studies show that coffee does have an effect on bone density. A study revealed that those who drank up to four coffees a day suffered a two to four percent drop in their bone density.

Now you’re probably thinking, “all this information is nice, but which one is healthier?” 

The answer is: neither. Both are incredibly different and have their own health pros and cons.

It’s a draw!

Teeth-Staining:

Both of these beverages have solid reputations as notorious tooth stainers. However, at the end of the day, tea is more likely to stain your teeth, particularly if you use a mouthwash with antiseptic chlorhexidine, a common ingredient that tends to bind the microscopic particles.

Coffee is the winner of this round.

Caffeine Content:

Now, it may seem as though coffee has this category in the bag, but hear me out. Although coffee has a higher caffeine content, this can actually have negative ramifications. Side effects of this excess caffeine can include jitters and headaches. Tea has been proven to provide that same energy without the negative side effects.

However, tea can have a relaxing effect on the body which could potentially be counterproductive.

It’s a close call but I’m going to go with tea on this one. All the energy with none of hangover. It’s a win win. 

Now the time has come, which caffeinated beverage will be named the champion?

Drum roll, please.

And the winner is…

HOT CHOCOLATE!

The true superior winter beverage.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7Cover

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!