This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Whether you’re strolling around Carytown, shopping near Short Pump, enjoying the sunshine at Maymont or dancing at one of the clubs in Shockoe Bottom, you’re bound to see various individuals sporting some kind of body ink.  If my two years in this crazy city has taught me anything, it’s that Richmond citizens love their tattoos.  According to an article on totalbeauty.com entitled “10 U.S Cities with the Most Tattoos,” Richmond is number three.  It shouldn’t really come as surprise, considering the city is huge in the arts.  Not to mention the numerous liberal-minded natives and college students that roam the streets.  I managed to track down (with help from some lovely friends) an assortment VCU students with some awesome tattoos. Enjoy!

“The tree on my calf muscle is based off the song ‘Making Love to the Camera’ by my all time favorite band, The Starting Line. This was my first ever tattoo (2010). I had been listening to the Starting Line for nearly a decade, and I knew I wanted my first tattoo to be based off of one of their songs. I didn’t want to get a blatantly obvious Starting Line tattoo, I wanted one that looked just like a random tattoo to those who don’t know me. I felt like my own personal take on a lyric rather than just the words ‘The Starting Line’ I actually got a chance to show their singer the tattoo, that was pretty cool/nerdy.” –Sam Isaacs

“It’s the album artwork from ‘Mellow Yellow’ by Donovan that my second dad gave me years ago from when they lived together in the 60’s and I changed the banner to a line of Kanye’s 2010 album.” –Katie Brannock

“I grew up in a small town outside of Milwaukee. The only things to do on a Friday night were go to the H.S. football game, go to a local show, or stay home. Not being a fan of sports or being bored, I was exposed to the world of DIY punk and house shows at a pretty early age. One band in particular stuck out, (at the time) five dudes from Chicago without a name. They kept coming up to play shows in our area, with an intensity and bravado that made me fall in love with music. Eventually, those dudes did get a name, and the rest is permanently etched in radio hits, worldwide tours, and broken hearted teenage Daniels everywhere. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if Fall Out boy hadn’t pulled me out of that WI basement and showed me what it means to feel alive. I got their original symbol to remind me that, when all else fails, believers never die.

“As for the right, I spent a lot of time with Star Wars growing up. It taught me most of what I know about being a solid person from seeing the original films. The fanboy in me will always have a huge stake in my life, which is why I got the symbol of the Rebel Alliance on this past May The Fourth Be With You. Dearth Vader may have been a royal jerk, but he taught me everything I wanted to know about being a father one day, so I can’t hate him too much.” –Tommy McPhail

“Disney movies have always been my favorite since I was little. I got my Mickey/Minnie tattoo this year because I fell in love with the design. It’s classic. It suits me.” –Nicole Harrig

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.