Support Opportunity for Girls & Enter to Win a Gift Card to @HaikuRVA!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As young college women, I am sure most of us have taken a moment or two to appreciate how fortunate we are to have an education. Not to mention how fortunate we are to live in a society that provides us an array of freedoms that many women around the world only dream of having. We can go to school, vote, express ourselves openly, run for office, make money, get married for love, divorce undeserving husbands, drive (in some countries women can’t), and the list goes on. Our gender is extremely fortunate in the states, but in many other parts of the world, these types of freedoms and privledges are denied to all types of people, especially girls and women.

In the spirit of International Day of the Girl coming up this week on Friday, 10/11/2013, Her Campus VCU has teamed up with a local sushi restaurant, Haiku Sushi and Lounge, to raise awareness of issues that face girls around the world. Haiku has generously taken up the cause and agreed to sponsor a girl in an impoverished country by donating $100 to the fantastic non-profit, She’s the First. The entire donation will sponsor a girl’s education in a developing country. For this girl, a $100 donation is most definitely a great start to getting a quality education and the best possible shot at success.

Another exciting sponsorship Haiku has generously supported us with is ten $10 gift-cards to their delicious new sushi restaurant. What’s great about Haiku Sushi and Lounge is that it’s located near campus (but far enough to feel like you’re getting away from the unglamorous life of college), just a little past Shockoe Bottom. The restaurant is unlike other sushi restaurants you’ll find in downtown Richmond because it offers a diverse, Pan-Asian menu of Japanese sushi, mouth-watering Vietnamese dishes like pho and bahn mi, hard-to-find Thai Basil Soup, and more! The design of the restaurant is sophisticated and chic, and the perfect night-out for any college student to lounge with friends over a delicious meal.

The other night, Her Campus VCU and friends enjoyed a much needed ladies night over good food at Haiku. We took a few pictures, and of course I had to snap a shot of my new favorite roll, the pink Cherry Blossom Roll!

SO, how can you support girls AND win a gift card to Haiku Sushi and Lounge?
The process is quite simple! All you have to do is show your support on social media by following and liking us on Twitter and Facebook respectively, tweeting twice and voila! You’re entered to win! We will select two different winners for every 20 entries we recieve. Winners will be chosen at random online and notified on Twitter through direct message. Only VCU students are eligible to win. Here are the officials steps! Follow them carefully and good luck!

Four easy steps to enter to win a Haiku gift card:

1. Follow @HerCampusVCU and @HaikuRVA on Twitter
  2. Like Her Campus VCU and Haiku Sushi and Lounge RVA on Facebook (these are links to our FB accounts)
  3. Retweet this tweet (this link takes you to the specific tweet) OR find it on our Twitter @HerCampusVCU. It should say, “We support girls’ rights to education! ♥ Learn how you can support girls & enter to win a gift card to @HaikuRVA: www.hercampus.com/school/vcu/haikugiveaway
  4. Tweet: I just entered to win a gift card to @HaikuRVA! Thanks @HerCampusVCU! Learn how you can win here: www.hercampus.com/school/vcu/haikugiveaway

Also, don’t forget that you can even make a donation, or host a fundraiser yourself to sponsor girls’ education in impoverished countries through She’s the First

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo