Support International Day of the Girl With HC VCU and Haiku RVA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Last year, the United Nations declared October 11 the official International Day of the Girl. This Friday will be the second annual International Day of the Girl, and we are celebrating!

The idea behind International Day of the Girl is to recognize girls from all over the world, their rights and the many challenges and hardships they may face. The theme for this year is “Innovating for Girls’ Education.” There are many countries across the world who do not value a girl’s education and many girls are denied the opportunity to learn.

Last semester, our chapter was given the amazing opportunity to host a screening of “Girl Rising” which is a powerful, moving film about the importance of education in girls’ lives and it featured multiple girls from all over so they could share their story. Because problems with girls and education is not something that directly affects or pertains to our country, it’s not something we consider a lot. However, it is an extremely important issue in some countries and should not be forgotten about.

That is why Her Campus VCU will be hosting an event for the second annual International Day of the Girl on Friday, October 11th in the Student Commons. The event will be in the Commons Ground from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Join us as we raise awareness of the issues that face girls across the world and learn about how we can help. This will be a great time to socialize and snack on some yummy treats!

We are also excited to announce that Haiku Sushi and Lounge has agreed to partner with our organization for this event. Haiku Sushi and Lounge is Richmond’s newest, and most innovative Pan-Asian restaurant. Located downtown at 2222 E. Cary St. in Shockoe Bottom, everyone from the media and students are raving about their delicious array of dishes. Haiku serves Japanese sushi to Chinese and Vietnamese appetizers and entrees. The Richmond Dispatch even encourages that Haiku Sushi and Lounge will rise to the top of your list in their latest Dining Out Review

Thanks to Haiku Sushi and Lounge, we have been provided ten gift cards to give away on Twitter on Facebook this week. What better reason to get downtown this weekend and try some of their tasty sushi rolls? Haiku Sushi and Lounge has also graciously agreed to donate $100 to She’s The First, an organization dedicated to sponsoring girls’ education in developing countries.

International Day of the Girl is certainly a day to commemorate! Please come out and join us in celebrating International Day of the Girl this Friday and use #IDG2013 on your social media accounts to help get the word out. Until then, keep an eye out on Twitter by following @HerCampusVCU and @HaikuRVA for more information about our gift-card giveaways this week!

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.