Stress Free Activities to Do in RVA for a Much Needed Homework Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Welcome back to school! And back to homework…

No worries, though! Homework does not have to take all your fun time away and here are some fun activities to give you a break from it that are completely free to try with new or old friends that you meet up with this semester!

Farmers markets of different tastes

The South of the James farmers market is a great activity to do with your new roommate (yes I’m talking to you, newbies) to just explore a little TASTE of what Richmond has to offer. This farmers market is held every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. where customers are greeted with open arms to look around at locally-grown produce as well as handmade objects made by local farmers and artisans! It’s not a small market either so there is plenty to look at as well as being held in the center of beautiful Forest Hill Park! Take a friend and go explore this cute market and get some food!

The Brunch Market and the Birdhouse Farmer’s Market are two other fun options that provide different foods than the South of the James. The brunch market is held once a month while the Birdhouse Farmer’s market is held every Tuesday. You can look them up for more information as needed.

Treat yourself

Having a spa day is a great thing to do with your girlfriends or guy friends because let’s be real, we all need to relax after doing homework for five hours!

Doing a quick home spa day is the best, not only because you’re using things you already own, but also the fact that you don’t have to go anywhere! Simply doing your nails and making a DIY facemask for your skin is loads of fun and you can also just sit in and watch a rom-com with ice cream and who doesn’t like a relaxing break!

Taking advantage of the beautiful outdoors

If you’re more of the adventure outdoors type, parks and the James River are great places to walk around and just find a spot to relax and maybe throw together a small picnic!

Maymont, Belle Isle, Brown’s Island and anywhere along the James River can be a great location to go whether it is with friends or by yourself to just enjoy time in the sunshine!

Last but not least, simply picking up a hobby to do with your friends is the best study break!

Whether it be watching Netflix, cooking, reading or just listening to music, take the time break to give yourself a break! Everyone needs to try and maintain a healthy balance between work and “me-time.” Do your work to get that degree but take some time for you!

Image Credits: 1 by Audrey Ampomah, 2, 3

Nat is a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security at Virginia Commonwealth University who treats every opportunity as a new chapter. All her chapters are filled with music, travels, Pinterest, and pics of friends laughing so hard they snort. She loves meeting new people and hearing new stories because she believes everyone has one. She aspires to influence those around her as well as just making people smile.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!