Stop Blaming Rory for “That” Storyline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Like many people, I eagerly started streaming “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life” as soon as it hit Netflix. I was so excited to return to the magical coziness of Stars Hollow and see what our favorite townsfolk had been up to; but I was mostly looking forward to catching up on Rory’s life. Had she made it as a big time journalist? Was she making Lorelai proud? Had she (finally) chosen Logan? (Well, she did, but not how I was hoping)

It took me a while to figure out exactly how I felt about the affair between Rory and Logan. It seemed to be purely sexual, but since these two characters had had such an emotionally charged relationship I doubted it was just physical. For me, this was not the make-or-break of the mini-series that it was for so many other people, and after reading some responses on how other viewers felt about this relationship I was a little angry. I did not pay that much attention to their relationship, and instead focused on Rory finding herself and trying with all her might to avoid the “30-Something Club.” 

Here’s what I think a lot of “Gilmore Girls” fans are forgetting–Rory is not a little girl anymore. She’s not the tiny, baby-faced, naive 14-year-old she was when the series began. She’s a woman, one with needs and wants just like the rest of us. Was having an affair while they were both in a relationship bad? Well, yes; you only need a moral compass to figure that out. But honestly, I don’t think it was worthy of crucifying Rory and Logan both. They’re young(ish) and never stopped caring about each other– not that I’m in any way condoning cheating, but I just do not think that this was the worst thing Rory has ever done. Those coming for her neck due to this storyline are upset that Rory; beautiful, pure little Rory, is acting like a grown-up human who has a sexual drive and occasionally does bad things–and I like her all the better for it. I love seeing characters develop and grow over time, and would have been bored to death if “A Year in the Life” had been all Rory being accomplished and pretty and perfect. 

I loved Rory’s development and storyline over this mini-series–it was the most relatable thing regarding post-grad life that I’ve seen on television to date. Rory is a scared, insecure woman who doesn’t know what to do with her degrees–and she takes this out on Logan. I loved every second of it, and wanted to see more of their relationship. Would I have preferred them to be in a relationship? Yes, absolutely. #TeamLogan forever. But watching Rory make her away through her early 30s and make a bunch of incredibly relatable mistakes along the way–this was just as good as seeing Rory marry Logan. I really don’t think that fans should be reacting with this much anger and shock to this relationship, as it reflects Rory’s character development and change over the years. She’s no longer the sweet little girl she once was, and I am 100 percent here for it. I relate so much more to her now that she has no idea what the hell she’s doing and will travel all the way to London for a booty call– she’s changed; and I think it’s amazing. 

Images: Cover photo, gif 1, 2, 3

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!