STAY-cation 101: A Guide to Spring Breaking in Richmond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

SPRING BREAK.  The most anticipated part of a student’s spring semester.  We’ve all seen the movies, but let’s face it, not all of us have the capabilities to run off to Cancun for a week.  So here’s a list of fun and inexpensive things to do on a ‘Stay-cation’ right here in Richmond.

1)      The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

The VMFA is definitely a huge attraction in Richmond.  Its permanent collection galleries offer many different types of art, and the best part is admission is always free, 365 day of the year!  The VMFA also offer special exhibitions and a vast number of events for every age group.  While you’re there you can browse the gift shop and even grab something to eat at their restaurant or café.  BONUS: The VMFA offers students a membership for $10.00 that admits that student into special exhibitions for free.

2)      Belle Isle State Park

Belle isle is 739 acres of pure beauty and nature.  With a variety of fields, forests, and wetlands, this captivating park is open to everyone for free!  You can have a picnic, hike, bike and even explore their trails.  You can also take advantage of their canoe and motorboat rentals, or register for some of their educational programs.  At Belle Isle you can relax, get active, and learn something new, all in the same place.

3)      Carytown

With over 300 shops and restaurants on one strip, Carytown is a tourist’s dream.  It consists of small cafes, upscale restaurants, bakeries, clothing stores and even a candy store.  Whether you’re there to do some actually shopping or just to take in the fast-paced surrounding, Carytown has everything you need.  

4)      James River Park System

If you live in Richmond, it’s guaranteed that you’ve heard about the James River, but not many people have actually checked it out.  It is insane how many things are offered through the park.  If you’re feeling adventurous then this is the place for you.  There are trails, rock climbing, mountain biking and even guided walking tours, but that’s not all.  On the river you can swim, kayak, canoe, and even try whitewater rafting!  If you love the outdoors, then check out everything the James River Park System has to offer.

5)      Canal Cruise

Looking for a unique history lesson? Richmond Canal Cruises offer 40-minute boat rides along the James River and Kanawha Canal along Richmond’s historic Canal Walk.  This scenic ride is accompanied by the informative history of Richmond, as told by the narrator.

…And after exploring the great city of Richmond, you’ll need to refuel.  Here are some of best restaurants Richmond has to offer along with their style:

·         Can Can Brasserie – French

·         Six Burner – American

·         Coast – Seafood

·         Comfort – Southern

·         Umi Sushi Bistro – Asian

·         Bistro Bobette – French

·         La Grotta – Italian

·         The Black Sheep – American

·         Croakers Spot – Southern

·         821 Café – American

…And finally after a day of sightseeing and great food, it’s time for a night on the town with some friends.  In Richmond there’s never a dull moment, so the list of nightlife locations and activities could go on for a while.  Here are the top 5 nightlife hotspots in Richmond:

1.       SOCIETY Social Club

2.       The Mansion Room at Fielden’s

3.       Godfrey’s

4.       Kai

5.       The National

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!