Start the Season with Fall Makeup Tips & Recommended Products!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fall is almost in full swing and also everything that comes along with it. This season means quite a few things — fall styles, warm drinks, moccasins, UGG boots, crisp air, colorful leaves and of course, adjusting our makeup! 

Around VCU vintage makeup is all the rage. Vintage is simply our thing. If you’re not already familiar with this style you may ask yourself, what does vintage mean in terms of makeup and how do I pull it off? Well, the vintage-look collaborates the past — 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and so forth — into fashion of today. To achieve this look with makeup, often times a bold, red lipstick that is ever so bright is perfect. Second, a thick black eyeliner to define your eyes helps create the illusion of the wide, beautiful eyes like in an old Audrey Hepburn film. 

To start off your lips, wine red lipstick is a bold statement that I encourage you to try out (Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Lip Color– $7 Local Drugstore). This color will make your lips POP. For those of you not on a budget in search of a color other than red, I recommend Tom Ford Beauty Violet Fatale Lip Color, ($48, available at Bergdorf Goodman). 

For your eyes, I recommend CoverGirl LiquilineBlast Eyeliner Pencil (in Blackfire). It creates the type of smokey eye that us ladies always attempt to perfect. Just brush the charcoal shadow over your lids and into your crease to blend it in just right. As for colors, this season’s perfect color is a blue/green tint. I recommend Maybelline Eyestudio Colorplush Silk Eyeshadow in Sapphire Siren. Surprisingly, this palette goes for only $10 at the local drug store!  

I asked trendy women around campus if they would prefer quality makeup or a quick and cheap item, and surprisingly most women answered a more expensive quality makeup is worth the extra buck! For those of you in the same boat, I recommend the Urban Decay “Naked” eyeshadow. It comes with  natural and smokey colors to ensure everyone’s wants and needs. The set is provided with an eyelid primer to make sure all that hard work stays on your eyelids. You can find this set at various locations such as, Sephora, Ulta, Amazon, and also Ebay. The cost is $48.

Fall is a wonderful time to experiment with new makeup styles. With the change of seasons and colors all around you, what better time than to switch up your makeup style! Take a step our of your shell with my makeup tips and have some fun with your appearance! You may even find the style that defines your personality; or simply, a cute look you absolutely love sporting around campus. 

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo