etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With the frigid temperatures, it’s hard to believe that spring break is right around the corner. Most of us dream of spending break partying and sun bathing on the beach in the tropical air while sipping on a cold, fruity beverage. We have these images of spring break from movies, but what college student can actually afford a wild vacation in Miami with friends? Fortunately there is still a plethora of activities you can partake in to get your mind off of schoolwork without breaking your broke college student budget.

Airbnb

If you want to get off of campus, you’re going to need a place to stay and Airbnb is a great alternative to a hotel. Through their website you can locate people around the world who open their homes to guests and act as a bed and breakfast. You can score a del that is significantly cheaper than a hotel (especially around spring break season) and you’ll get a radically unique travel experience. Not to mention, you can help the locals get some extra cash.

Take a Day Trip

Avoid pricey lodging expenses all together by taking a day trip or two. Grab a ride and a couple of friends and head to a destination of your choosing. Spend the day in Washington D.C. seeing the sights, exploring the museums and experiencing your nation’s capital. If you don’t have a car, take the Mega Bus to New York City, or almost anywhere really, for a fraction of the price of flying.

Go Camping

Spending a few nights in the great outdoors is the ultimate cheap getaway. You can book a nearby campsite for almost nothing, especially when you split it up amongst you and your friends. Bring your resources together and collect all the essentials and food you need. You might be able to get away without purchasing a thing (except for s’mores supplies of course). Nothing compares to hiking and hanging out with your closest friends around a campfire. Just make sure someone knows how to pitch a tent.

Take a Road Trip

If you have a reliable vehicle and some friends you can handle being cramped into a stuffy car with for hours on end, then a road trip is a completely feasible and inexpensive option for spring break. Simply decide where you want to go and what you want to see, pack a GPS, and just go. Get out there and explore America. You can your road trip with camping or Airbnb to slash your expenses. There are tons of resources to help you plan and make the most of your trip such as Roadtrippers.

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!