Richmond VA at sunset
Richmond VA at sunset
Original photo by Miriam Gibson

Spotlight: Women-owned Businesses in RVA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Claiming control of work-life is a powerful moment for many women. Women are often expected to take on many stereotypical responsibilities in daily life. Running their own business is a goal many women in the business field hold close to their hearts because it presents the unique opportunity to be their own boss. RVA has some amazing, hard-working women who have grown successful businesses from the bottom up. Here are just a few of the city’s women-owned businesses to check out.

Richmond Free Press

The mission behind this business is one of the most interesting ones I have come across. It’s goal is to report news in a more balanced, non-polarizing way for its readers. Platforms such as these that parse the news into more understandable fragments are so valuable. Today’s 24-hour news cycle can be overwhelming with many complex topics and polarizing opinions being presented in just snippets. This newspaper publishes a copy each week and is free to all readers. 

Pinq

Pinq is the future of corporate America, offering a co-working space for women in Richmond. The company also offers clients business services with everything from social media management to small-business coaching services. Although having spaces for just women does limit some diversity, a female-centered workplace can offer a supportive, nurturing environment. Having a space to share common experiences and advice also doubles as a great networking space. Personally, I would love to see more of these spaces in Richmond. 

Elegba Folklore Society

Richmond has long been famous for its theaters such as Byrd and Altria Theater. Elegba Folklore Society is a center that hosts theater performances and art shows. These live performances are a refreshing way to bring the community together to break from our busy lives. This society specifically focuses its art on the African diaspora, which is an important part of Richmond’s current cultural landscape.

Saadia’s Juicebox & Yoga Bar

Inspired by a healthy, earth-conscious lifestyle, Saadia’s Juicebox serves a plant-based menu. Stop by before or after a workout or as a study break. A vegan or vegetarian diet is undeniably the future of humanity and this place proves that sticking to an environmentally-conscious diet is doable. Its founder Saadia is also a certified health and wellness coach who takes on clients for a wellness journey program.

Mama J’s

Mama J’s is probably one of the most well-known businesses in Richmond and we’re proud to say that it was founded by Velma Johnson in 2009. The family-owned restaurant serves Southern food and has undergone many expansions to increase its capacity due to its popularity. Mama J’s is definitely a business model that could inspire new entrepreneurs looking to make a break.

Although not a business, the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) of Richmond has been supporting local women in their entrepreneurial pursuits for decades. The organization strives to represent women business owners on influential platforms and strives to support as diverse a group of individuals as possible.

Tanya Kurnootala is a junior at VCU majoring in biology. She enjoys writing about issues that enrich the female perspective, with a focus on politics and women's health.