This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

On Thursday, April 28, the women of Her Campus VCU are teaming up with the VCU chapter of Amnesty International for an open mic night about female empowerment. We’ve taken the time to answer some questions you may have about the event.

What is Amnesty International?

Amnesty International is a global, non-governmental organization with over seven million members at the high school and collegiate levels. Their mission statement is that they are a “global movement of people fighting injustice and promoting human rights.” They want to make the world a safer, equal place for everyone; and have been awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for their efforts in fighting injustices around the world. Find out more about them and their missions here.

What exactly is “Slamnesty”?

Slamnesty is an open mic night in the Commons Theater where anyone and everyone can take the mic to talk about female empowerment. It can be any subject, from how Beyonce’s “Lemonade” positively affected you to gender inequality in third-world countries. There is no cover charge, so even if you don’t want to participate in the event itself you are more than welcome to come, sit and listen to some badass people talk about this subject.

Will there be food?

This is the real question on everyone’s minds. Yes, there will be FREE food from different restaurants around Richmond. Come fix yourself a plate and sit back for a fun night of slam poetry, songs and anything else the creative people of VCU come up with to talk about this subject.

Why should I go?

You mean besides the free food? You should be there for any number of reasons, including that female empowerment is something we need to see more of on not just this campus, but campuses worldwide. It will be a night of ladies encouraging ladies, of poets talking about injustices affecting women worldwide, of the most creative people on VCU’s campus talking about how we can make this world better for women everywhere. If you are a woman or know one, this event is for you. Unless you’re in class, why wouldn’t you be there?

Why is Her Campus VCU co-sponsoring this event?

We are a group of women who want to encourage women everywhere. If we are given a chance to build up the women of VCU and everywhere else, we will snatch up that opportunity. We want to build a community of strong, badass, independent women on VCU’s campus and this is the best way to start doing that. 

We really hope to see you there! Remember, mark your calendars, tell your cat and best friend, spread the word– Slamnesty is this Thursday, April 28, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Commons Theater. For a chance to win an extra-special prize pack from Her Campus VCU use the hashtag #SlamnestyVCU. Can’t wait to see you there!

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!