Single In the City 2013: Hot Singles, Great Cause, Open Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

On Saturday, May 18th, I had the pleasure of attending Single and the City Richmond’s second annual bachelorette/bachelor auction.  The proceeds from the auction went to the educational and artistic programs hosted at Richmond Centerstage.  Some of these programs include BrightLights Education Programs, which is located at Genworth BrightLights Education Center.  The venue was at Rhythm Hall, in Downtown Richmond.  It was small, but very colorful and beautiful, with open bars and a lively guest list.  There was a silent auction going on before the bidding started, and some of the prizes included packages from RVA Trolley and P.F. Chang’s, Jojo Photo, Dinner and a Movie at Byrd Theatre and The Magpie, Richmond Flying Squirrels, Innsbrook after hours tickets, and a variety of other eclectic packages.  Vivid, lively, talkative individuals filled the Hall, happily talking to the other guests.  I soaked up the environment, quietly surveyed the multitude of people that represented some of Richmond’s finest.  Side note, there were so many fashionable people there!

The event was filled with GORGEOUS dresses and FANTASTIC shoes. I had the fabulous opportunity of interviewing some of these intelligent, gorgeous gods that walk among us mortals.

Bachelor: 
Ace Callwood

Age: 
22

University: 
VCU

Major:  
Entrepreneurship

Graduation Date:
2012

Occupation: 
Coordinator of Entrepreneurship at School of Business at VCU and creative director of http://coffitivity.com.

Why did you decide to auction yourself off here: 
This is a really good charity, and it just makes sense for me to be a part of it, because of Centerstage’s creative landscape.  I’m happy to be a part of it, especially for the music and education aspects.

Favorite thing about RVA:  
The diversity.  It’s a big city but also a quiet suburb.

Least Favorite thing about RVA: 
The lack of public transportation.  It makes no sense that we don’t have a better system.

Continue to the next page to read more
[pagebreak]

Bachelor:  
Ned Oliver

Age:
26

University: 
Bard College

Major:
Political Science

Graduation Date:
2006

Occupation:
Reporter at Style Weekly

I’m happy to support the charity, a friend asked to and I agreed.

Favorite thing about RVA:
the River.

Least favorite thing about RVA: 
Limited public transit.   

Continue to the next page to read more

[pagebreak]

Bachelorette:
Anne Dreyfus

Age:
24

University:
JMU

Major:
Journalism

Graduation Date:
1999

Occupation:
Richmond magazine editor

I thought it would be and fun, and it’s for a fun cause.

Favorite thing about RVA
I love Richmond!  It’s a small city, and I love the sense of community.  I also the river, and I love how Richmond has this outdoor outlet.  The night life is great too!

Least favorite thing about RVA:
There are less opportunities than New York City or DC.

Continue to the next page to read more

[pagebreak]

Bachelor:
Jake Crocker

Age:
38

University: Undergraduate: 
Radford University, MBA: Virginia Tech

Major:
Advertising

Occupation: 
Owner of 6 restaurants, including Lady N’awlins and Jorge’s Cantina.

I was asked.  I am a longtime supporter of Centerstage, I wanted to help out Downtown Richmond.

Favorite thing about RVA:
The people are cool.  I’ve been around the world, and like the positive environment in Richmond.

Least favorite thing about RVA: 
I wish there was better public transportation.

As the auction began the emcee was introduced as Jason Roop, editor in chief at Style Weekly.  He was entertaining and lively throughout the evening, and very funny.

The auctioneer, Justin Swisher, was equally hilarious and lively as he got the crowd motivated and pumped for the bidding.  26 bachelorettes and bachelors were auctioned off, with date packages that ranged from wine tasting, to a trip in a hot air balloon, to sky diving, to spending time with a rock star.  It was a very interesting evening to say the least.  Those that were bidded on would walk up to the stage, some danced, and waited to be bid on.  Some passed out roses, (I got one!), lollipops, and t-shirts from their fitness gym (great marketing/advertising strategy right?) to the prospective bidders. I believe the woman who got the largest bid went up to the $2000 area.  There were also quite a bit of men flashing their abs at the crowd.  That certainly got me very excited.

All in all, I believe that it was an extremely fun and successful night.  I hope that Single and the City is made into an annual thing, because who doesn’t like contributing to a great cause and bidding on extremely attractive people?

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.