This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

There are many reasons that it may be time to move on from a friendship. A lot of friendships may fizzle out because circumstances, interests and perspectives change. As time goes on, friendships don’t quite fit right or time finally revealed to you that you’re not in the healthiest friendship.

Here are a few signs that it may be time to end things with a friend.

It’s one-sided

There should be some sense of balance in a friendship. In healthy relationships, consistent reciprocity affirms our feelings for our friends and makes us feel re-assured in the relationship.

Honestly, not every friendship is going to be 50/50 every day. Some days, if they’re only able to give you 20% and you have to give 80%, that’s okay. But when you’re the one with the low-energy days and they’re never anywhere to be found—it might be time to start rethinking the friendship.

Also, if someone only hits you up when they need something—they’re not your friend.

You don’t feel good around them

Do they act differently when boys are around? Do they passive-aggressively mock you? Do they just generally make you feel crappy for your decisions in life? Find a new friend.

It may seem obvious that you shouldn’t be friends with someone who doesn’t make you happy, but sometimes people will sacrifice their happiness for a friendship with someone that can give them perks—access to people, fun events, etc. Or they may just be friends with them because they don’t have a lot of options.

It’s better to be happy by yourself than miserable with bad friends.

You fuel their bad habits or vice versa

Misery loves company.

Are you doing low-vibe things with low-vibe people that you otherwise wouldn’t be doing?

Sometimes people that come into your life when you are at a low point are not always the ones that are supposed to be there when you get back on top.

they are negative people

You know those friends that every time you see them they’re always complaining? They do it so much, it seems that they almost like it. Friends who seem stuck saying, “ugh, I want to start working out and get my body right,” but never even take a tiny step toward the gym. Those people should not be your people.

Pessimism serves no good if you’re the kind of person that wants positive, loving friends around you.

the Discussions together are… mid

It’s normal for people to gossip, catch up or talk about juicy drama. However, if all the conversation between you and your friend centers around boys, themselves or bad-mouthing other people—it may be time to rethink some things.

Think about your friend’s values and compare them to yours. If you only care about surface-level things, perhaps this friend is right for you. But if you want to build a successful future, then you want people around you that are going to push you toward those goals and support you along the way. If you and your friends aren’t talking about goals, how to discover different versions of yourselves or overall growth as you progress in life—they may not be the best friend to have.

Kaylah Young is a senior at VCU. She is majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism, and a minor in political science. Kaylah has a passion for writing, reading books, and working out at the gym.