Sacre Noir Atelier, Graceful Ghostliness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Richmond never ceases to amaze me with its hidden surprises and treasures.  I recently came across one of these treasures, and it goes by the name Sacre Noir Atelier. ‘The Sacred Black Wardrobe’ specializes in the design and creation of juxtapositions between the eerie and the earthly.  Ms. Christi Bell creates clothes and accessories that give off an alluring and mysterious vibe one cannot help but stop and take a look at, especially around Halloween and con season.  I had the amazing opportunity to interview the creator of this company via email so please enjoy! (Ms. Bell is also the model seen in the pictures; isn’t she beautiful?)

When did you get interested in creating these art pieces?

I have loved fashion design as long as I can remember. I used to draw princesses over and over again, just to design different gowns for them. I also used to create clothes for my barbies from tights and scarves that I would cut up and hand sew together, much to the chagrin of my Mother. That same passion for an organic, free-flowing approach to design has stayed with me. I’ve been interested in making headpieces and accessories since I first went to college for Fashion Design, back in 2005 at Philadelphia University. I have always admired vintage and antique millinery, especially that of the Victorian and Edwardian eras. Fine millinery can be seen as a work of art, but what I do is meant to be worn and utilized. I like to see my work as a meeting of art and design. To me, good design is functional, wearable, art.

What inspired you to create your business?

I’ve wanted to have my own business since my teenage years. I wanted to be the next Vera Wang back then. But as I got older, and delved into the Goth and Steampunk scenes, I saw areas that I wanted to go into, namely alternative bridal wear. I knew that I wouldn’t have complete creative control working for someone else. I need to have my own space and ability to create as I see fit, lest I go crazy. So, when I left VCU due to illness, I got serious about getting my business off the ground.

What have been some obstacles that you have over come?

Initially, my main obstacle was just getting my name and brand out there for people to notice. Luckily, a friend of mine knew I created headpieces and one of a kind clothing, and helped to get me picked up by a Carytown boutique, LeenaLu. Unfortunately, they closed up, and that forced me into the world of Etsy. Moving to Etsy presented a whole new set of challenges. I was a very small fish in a very big pond. But it forced me to define myself further as a designer, and to find a way to set myself apart. Since then, I have been networking with photographers, models, magazines, etc. I have branched out into styling photoshoots, all in the name of getting my brand noticed. Social media has been instrumental in this as well. An ongoing struggle is finances. I can’t always afford materials I want, so I have to get creative with what I do have. This has led me in the direction of re purposing things, and it has really turned out well! 

Who are your role models?

I have so many! One my biggest role models is Bink of Pearls & Swine, ( a UK milliner). She is so fiercely creative and unapologetic about her designs! I love that. I also admire Jenni of Sparklewren Corsetry. Her designs are so innovative! She’s pushing the envelope of modern corsetry design, while maintaining elegance and unparalleled quality. All of my independent designer friends are also role models to me. Specifically, Nikki of Bizarre Boudoir,  Rachel Walters of Undecillion, and Angela Bacskocky. I have so much respect and admiration for those who go out do what they love to do, taking the difficult path, and are successful. It gives me hope. I also have more well known role models in terms of design and vision: Christian Siriano, John Galliano, and Alexander McQueen. I gravitate towards those with darker aesthetic tastes.

What has been your biggest accomplishment so far with this company?

At the moment, having some of my work published on Photo Vogue Italia’s website is my biggest accomplishment. In a very close second is a reception gown I made for a friend that will be featured as part of a larger story about Halloween weddings in the Richmond Times-Dispatch later in October. Overall though, being successful at doing what I love most is the accomplishment I am most proud of. 

What are some goals you have for this company?

My ultimate goal is to have my own boutique that specializes in bespoke bridal wear and millinery. A short term goal is to have work in a fashion show, and be published in a magazine such as Gothic Beauty or Dark Beauty. 

What are some of your favorite pieces?

The dress I created for Mary Alice (my Halloween bride) is my favorite piece that I have ever done. Another favorite is a dress and collar matching set that I created just for fun. It is probably the purest expression of me as a designer. My very good friend and go to model, Alice Reed, purchased it from me after modeling it for a shoot because she loved it so much. I was so honored. 

Make sure to check out her store on Etsy as well as her Facebook page!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SacreNoirAtelier

https://www.facebook.com/SacreNoirAtelier0

*picures provided by Christi Bell and taken by Lauren D Rogers Photography

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.