Rom-Coms to Binge Watch on Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Are you spending Galentine’s Day with your closest girlfriends? Do you need a good rom-com to watch? Here are seven of the best rom-coms on Netflix right now (in my opinion).

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”

Lara Jean Covey, played by Vietnamese-American actress Lana Condor, writes five secret love letters to each of her crushes. When they somehow get mailed out to each of her crushes, Lara Jean finds her quiet high school life turned upside down. This is the movie adaption of the book of the same name by Jenny Han. This movie is one of those rom-coms that are not too terribly cheesy. Be sure to watch this one before the second one, that being released on Netflix on Feb. 12.

“To All the Boys 2: P.S. I Still Love You”

This is the sequel to “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” This movie will follow Lara Jean Covey, again played by Lana Condor, and her first relationship. But when an old crush reenters the picture, feelings grow complicated. This movie is also an adaptation of the book by the same name by Jenny Han. Look for it on Netflix on Feb. 12.

“Always Be My Maybe”

Sasha Tran, played by Ali Wong, and Marcus Kim, played by Randall Park, were childhood sweethearts. Now they live in different worlds, and she’s engaged to a high powered businessman Brandon Choi, played by Daniel Dae Kim. The chemistry between Sasha and Marcus is still there…but will the timing ever be right?

This movie got an 89% on Rotten Tomatoes and is not at all another cheesy rom-com.

“Someone Great”

On the heels of a blindsiding breakup, music journalist, Jenny, played by Gina Rodriquez, braces for a new beginning—and one last adventure with her closest friends.

This movie is perfect if you’re spending the night in with some of your closest girlfriends. Call up your girl gang, put on some PJs and pop some popcorn!

“Love, Rosie”

This is one of my all-time favorite rom coms! It’s not your typical girl and guy meet, fall in love and live happily ever after story. I mean, it does have a happy ending but it actually dives into the real effort and time it takes to find love.

As teens, Rosie Dunne, played by Lily Collins, and Alex Stewart, played by Sam Claflin, are lifelong soulmates that go their separate ways. Will their time apart undo the ties that bind them together?

This movie received a 63% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, but it is still definitely worth a chance!

“The Ugly Truth’

Katharine Heigl stars as a lovelorn television producer who’s made to compete with a pig-headed morning show host, played by Gerard Butler, in an attempt to prove whose romantic methods are more accurate. The Ugly Truth is directed by Legally Blonde’s Robert Luketic.

This movie goes into the age-old story of opposites attract and tries it’s best to bring some comedic charm into the rom-com storyline.

“The Last Summer”

“The Last Summer” follows a group of recent high school graduates as they navigate their way through their final summer before college starts. As they wrestle with love lost and found, form friendships in the most unexpected of circumstances and take greater control in their relationships with their parents, they ultimately decide who they will be and what they will do as they stand on the precipice of adulthood.

Grab your girl gang, pull on some comfy PJs, pop some popcorn and get ready to binge some, if not all, of these movies!  

Tara is a junior HPEX health science major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes hanging out with friends and family, trying out new places to eat and scrolling through dog videos in her free time.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!