Career

The Right Job For You, According to Your Myers-Briggs Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s a known fact that everyone has different personality traits and quirks, but the Myers-Briggs personality assessment shows that certain career paths are proven to work better with certain personality types. How cool is that?

For those of you who clicked on this article not exactly knowing what Myers-Briggs or those funny acronyms are, here’s a brief explanation.

Why do we do things the way we do them? What is the scientific explanation behind all of this? How can you use your personality traits to gain a better understanding of yourself?

To sum it all up, the Myers-Briggs personality assessment basically sorts everyone into 16 different personality groupings based on major and underlying personality traits. Once you know your own personality type, they give you a huge explanation of how your personality affects you how you see the world. Your strengths and weaknesses, romantic relationships, friendships, parenthood, career paths, and work habits are all broken down and defined how your personality type sees the world. It is known to be “freakishly accurate” and you may really see yourself mirrored in some of the descriptions (and possibly gain a better understanding of yourself.) 

The characteristics of the 16 major personality types include Extroversion (E), Introversion (I), Sensing (S), Intuition (N), Thinking (T), Feeling(F), Judging (J) and Perceiving (P). These individual letters are grouped together to form a singular personality type.

For example, you could be anything from an ENFP or an ISTJ- find out what your own personality type is after a short, free quiz here.

So we know that just by your personality, there are things that work well and not-so-well because of it. As previously mentioned, your career path can be something that is really dependant on your personality. Certain quirks and mannerisms that may seem insignificant at first glance can really be defining factors with which kind of workplace suits you.

Here is the “best job” for your personality type, based on what characteristics and values your personality type is likely to have:

“Pragmatists”: 

Pragmatists are known to be driven in their work environments and love work when they can use logical and straightforward methods to produce solid, consistent outcomes.

ESTJ: Chef

ISTJ: Systems Administrator

ESTP: Military Officer

ISTP: Police Officer

“Caretakers”:

Caretakers are the perfect example of people who have the drive to help others. 

ESFJ: Registered Nurse

ISFJ: Kindergarten Teacher

ESFP: Bartender

ISFP: Jeweler

“Theorists”:

Theorists love the work environment where they can be constantly coming up with new notions and ideas.

ENTJ: Physician

INTJ: Microbiologist

ENTP: Reporter

INTP: College Professor

“Empaths”:

Empaths are driven to help other people and improve the world and want to do this with their work.

ENFJ: Minister

INFJ: Veterinarian

ENFP: Landscape Architect

INFP: Fine Artist

image credit: 1, 2

Andrea is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University, double majoring in Mass Communications and Political Science. Serving as Her Campus at VCU's Senior Editor since Fall 2019, she always can be found with a cup of coffee in her hand and listening to Spotify's "Discover Weekly." She is a lover of all types of music, La Croix and politics. @andreakaniecki
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!