nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Richmond’s Top 10 “Secret” Places

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Before I came to school, I was given tons of tips on where I absolutely HAVE to go in Richmond. But I have been living in this beautiful city for the past three years and have probably done the same exact things during my free time! Don’t get me wrong, all of the things I have been doing are extremely fun, but I have yet to experience all of the things I want to do. I am determined to do everything I want to do before I leave the city!

1.     Sugar Shack $ — Reviews claim that these are the best donuts in town! Yes, better the old Krispy Kreme! Donuts here are oh-so-yummy and are considered cheap eats. I can’t wait to try their apple cake donuts, blackberry, chocolate iced or glazed, apple fritter, bacon chocolate with a raspberry glaze, caramel and sea salt, somoas, bacon-maple, caramel and peanuts, strawberry and last but not least, cinnamon toast crunch — yes, the cereal! Sugar Shack is located at 1001 N. Lombardy St.

2.     Mellow Mushroom $$ — Although a tad bit pricy, I heard this spectacular pizza is worth every bite! With all sorts of protein, fruit and veggie toppings, your pizza is bound to only be extra tasty. I have had so many friends tell me to go try MELLOW MUSHROOM (best pizza in town). Located at 3012 W. Cary St. in Carytown, it’s only a five minute drive from campus!

3.     Bev’s Homemade Ice Cream $$ — Bev’s has been serving Richmond in Carytown at 2911 W. Cary St. since 1998! Not only do they have ice cream, but also they have baked goods and coffee. It’s a one-stop shop! The ice cream flavors range from basil to your classic vanilla — it’s worth a try!

4.     Belle Isle FREE! — Located at 300 Tredegar St., this 54-acre island of the James River was once a hydroelectric plant during the Civil War and was used as a prisoner-of-war camp. Today, it’s actually a city park where a lot of college students go whenever they have some free time. It’s most popular in the summer time or when the weather’s nice, but the cold weather may also have a different and nice feel to it.

5.     Pipeline Rapids FREE! — The easiest walkway is located at the Canal Walk at South 12th and Byrd Streets. It has only been open to the public for about five years but not many take advantage! You may have some sightings of blue crab, fish that look like eels, more fish and herons. When the water is high, just watching the river is enough excitement! It runs along the river at the Riverside on the James condos. If you decide to paddle, proceed with caution! The water is no joke and is to be taken seriously. You can bird-watch, fish and hike. If you bring stuff to snack on, be sure to take it with you and don’t litter!

6.     Byrd Theatre $ — Talk about history…this theatre has been around since Christmas Eve of 1928! Located in the heart of Carytown at 2908 W. Cary St., The Byrd plays your favorite movies for just $2. 

7.     Richmond National Battlefield Park FREE! — Be sure to check out this park’s website to plan your visit. It is located in Central Virginia just 100 miles south of D.C. The park has battlefield sites and visitor centers that are located in the City of Richmond, Henrico, Hanover and Chesterfield counties. There is no fee to enter, however there may be just a small parking fee if you don’t find free parking. While there you will learn about the Civil War and much more. Be sure to check out more of Richmond’s historical side! *Addresses vary by location.

8.     Jefferson Hotel $$$$ — Can you believe that this enormous and gorgeous hotel opened in 1895? Also, in 1969, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places! It’s one of the 27 American hotels with Mobil Five Star and AAA Five Diamond Hotel Ratings…talk about amazing. Plan your stay at this beautiful and historical hotel, as you’ll also find out more about its history while you’re there. Located ONLY a few minutes away from campus at 101 W. Franklin St.

9.     Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens $$ — Many reviews have said that it doesn’t matter if you come in the winter or spring — there is always something to see or do! The plants are seen as captivating and are displayed beautifully. Many weddings have also taken place here. If you love nature and anything peaceful and tranquil — this place is definitely for you! You may want to spend a few quiet hours here. They also have a really nice gift shop and café! ONLY a short minute drive from downtown Richmond at 1800 Lakeside Avenue.

10. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts FREE! — Many aren’t aware of this awesome museum. Plan on spending a few hours to enjoy some of the best art in the Commonwealth. The VMFA has great hours of operation and parking is convenient. You’ll slowly find yourself mesmerized by others’ creativity. Located near Carytown at 200 N. Boulevard.

Aren’t there so many things you can do in your free time? Next time, before you think about doing the same exact thing you do every weekend, check out some of these cool places instead!

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.