This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Coachella looks this year did not live up to the expectations set by years prior. Most influencers went the casual, bohemian route and most celebrities wore jeans and T-shirts. This is a stark contrast from the typical Vanessa Hudgens-esque all out looks from 2012-2017.

There has been talk on TikTok that the reason for the casualness of this year’s outfits is because traditional celebrities are trying to separate themselves from influencers by being “too cool for school.”

Some key themes you’ll see from this year’s looks are solid black and white, red shoes, cowboy boots and lace.

1. Amy Julliette Lefévre

I am obsessed with these photos of Amy Lefévre at Revolve Festival weekend one. This all black look with gold accessories is so chic but still festival appropriate. The sheer skirt and corset are perfect for the hot desert. I also love the hat she wore because the brim is a different shape than the cowboy hats that everyone is wearing.

2. rickey thompson

Rickey Thompson is always going to serve looks at Coachella. The white cargo pants and top are simple yet effective and the silver cowboy boots are a fun pop. I also love the fringe bag because it’s giving the Olsen twins in the 2010s.

3. benulus

This look from Benulus is one of my favorites from this year because it is so different from what everyone else wore. The statement floral corset is absolutely stunning with the green mini skirt. She also wore a traditional South Indian belt with statement necklaces. The layered rosary, cross pendant and choker necklaces perfectly compliment the look. I am also obsessed with the dark red lipstick she wore to match the red ribbons, rose and boots.

4. emma chamberlain

I was a little shocked to see that Emma Chamberlain went to Coachella this year but nonetheless she served looks. This strapless denim dress is perfect for a model off duty vibe. The red lipstick and shoes are a much needed pop of color with the blue denim. I also love how she was able to wear red, white and blue without making it look patriotic.

5. sarita cuervo

I didn’t know who Sarita was before I saw this picture on my Instagram explore page but this photo got an instant follow. These three looks coordinate perfectly while standing on their own as really cute outfits. The white, lace, jewelry and belts all go together so well with the single looks but could be interchanged with the other outfits. These pictures are what Pinterest dreams are made of.

6. devon lee carlson

Everyone’s favorite rockstar’s girlfriend wore a Miu Miu set to Coachella this year. We’ve seen this micro mini so many times over the last year but the way she styled it makes it look new. I love the bikini she wore underneath as a peek-a-boo against the preppy look. I also think it was a fun choice for her to go the country club, preppy route instead of the boho route.

7. zoifish

I remember seeing Zoifish on TikTok for the first time during quarantine. Her style was really cute and reminiscent of Emma Chamberlain. Her Coachella looks proved that she is a future force in the fashion industry. She was the only influencer I saw reaching Vanessa Hudgens-level of Coachella looks. All three of her outfits looked effortless yet perfectly styled.

8. Bretman Rock

The hair and makeup alone make this Bretman look. I didn’t see a lot of interesting hairstyles this year except for this one. The same braids with ribbons look amazing with the spikey bun in the back. The spikey hair matches the spikey vest that almost looks like cut-up paper. This look is giving early 2000s pop star and I’m obsessed.

9. Madeleine White

Madeleine White brought high fashion to Coachella in a way that few people could do successfully. All of her looks were amazing but this one in particular is so beautiful. The all-red look was inspired by Britney Spears and photographed so well at night. This look is what Kendall Jenner and Hailey Bieber thought they were giving this year.

10. Kimberyeet

Kimberyeet is a smaller influencer that I’ve been following for a while now and she has quickly become one of my favorite fashion girlies. The slip skirt has legs wearing underwear and a garter printed on it and I love how whimsical yet comical it is. One thing Kim does so well is combining quirky items to make them look high fashion.

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.