This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I’ve realized that you can only live off of Christian’s cheese pizza and Taco Bell bean burritos for so long. It’s not a sustainable existence. I’ll admit that nothing on this list beats the affordability of those options, but sometimes you have to put health costs first. I know that’s a lot to ask of a broke college student, but your digestive system will thank you! 

Richmond is a great place to be a vegetarian. There’s a handful of restaurants here that are entirely plant-based, and many more have extensive meatless sections of the menu. There’s a lot to explore, but I kept this list to places that are within walking distance of the VCU campus. These are my favorite spots for a healthy, satisfying bite in between or after classes if I’ve already been to Taco Bell more times than I’m proud of that week. 

Ipanema Cafe

Where? Grace Street, across from RamTech

Everything on Ipanema’s menu is vegetarian, and they have vegan options too! It’s been there since 1998 and was one of the first entirely plant-based restaurants in Richmond. Many of their menu items are also gluten free, including an assortment of desserts. They’re open for lunch and dinner on weekdays and just dinner on the weekend, and offer takeout and delivery. I recommend the jackfruit BBQ sandwich and tofu caesar wrap!

Cobra Cabana

Where? Marshall Street, Carver

The menu at Cobra is about a 50-50 split of vegan and carnivorous dishes, but they’ve got quality going for them over quantity in the department of vegan options. And if you like a side of super cool atmosphere with your meatless meal, Cobra Cabana is the spot for you. Edgy, casual and a bit kitschy, it’s not hard to tell from the decor that two of the three owners are musicians in local metal bands. They’re open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. every day, and offer a chill bar scene after dark. Their vegan mac and cheese is amazing, and if you order french fries, be sure to ask for some of their homemade vegan ranch!

821 Cafe

Where? Cary Street, Oregon Hill

821 Cafe may look like an ordinary grease trap of a diner from the outside. But it’s much more than that, as their menu reveals. They have carnivorous options for your meat-friendly friends, but their vegetarian and vegan options will have those friends eyeing your plate hungrily. They serve breakfast until 4 p.m. every day and the most expensive thing on the menu is only $12 (an Impossible Burger.) I like to get the vegetarian “billy philly” cheesesteak or the vegan curried chicken salad sandwich with a side of their amazing vegan chili.

NuVegan

Where? Grace Street, Monroe Ward

It’s all in the name—every single item on NuVegan’s menu is vegan. They’ve got plant-based versions of all your comfort food favorites from your pre-vegan or pre-veg days: Fried chicken, lasagna, crab cakes, barbecue and mac and cheese. An entree with one side is $11 and the portions are pretty sizable—I always have leftovers. They also have vegan shakes and smoothies! 

Harrison Street Cafe

Where? Harrison Street, next to Christian’s

Unlike Ipanema and 821, this is a cafe that actually has traditional cafe hours. They’re only open until 3 p.m. on weekdays and 2 p.m. on weekends, but they serve breakfast until close and lunch starts at 11 a.m. The entire menu is meatless, and almost all of their non-vegan items can be easily converted. And they’ve got great coffee too! I recommend any of their soysage breakfast burritos because they’re massive, and the seitan gyro and tempeh rueben are great too.

Edo’s Squid

Where? Harrison Street, above Hibachi Box

I had never noticed that there was a restaurant above Hibachi Box until one of my friends mentioned it. I assumed it was a seafood place after finding out its name and didn’t plan on ever going because of that. But, turns out it’s actually an Italian restaruant! There doesn’t seem to be much for vegans on the menu, but they’ve got quite a few vegetarian pasta dishes like eggplant parmasean, puttanesca and broccoli rabe with garlic. All of the meatless pastas are $10 or less and the portions are intimidating. Luckily, pasta makes a perfect leftover. The dining room is small but cozy and the ambience is a bit classy, so Edo’s would be a great place for a vegetarian date night!

Noelle is a senior at VCU pursuing a B.I.S. with a minor in Media Studies. She knows this will be of great use to her when her lifelong dream of becoming a stand-up comedian is actualized. When she's not working at the animal shelter, or busy avoiding her schoolwork by doing yoga, you can find her attempting to sleep while her cats do everything in their power to prevent it.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!