A Response to the Militarization of Police

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In 2015, former President Barack Obama placed restrictions on what gear police could use, limiting the usage of military equipment. These restrictions were in response to the militarized confrontations of police to those protesting the death of Michael Brown who was shot unarmed, by a police officer.

Now, just two years later, President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to allow the use of military hardware in police departments. This hardware would include grenade launchers, bayonets and large-caliber guns.

This means that, in addition to the arms that the police force already carries, they will be given access to military-level arms.

With the blatant violence and controversy that surrounds the police, this decision has obviously upset and frightened many people. The police force is having trouble with the violent conduct of its officers. From incidents like the nurse in Utah being dragged away with force and arrested for literally following the law, to the shooting of unarmed individuals like Michael Brown. It is obvious that some sort of reform must be made in the police force.

No one is asking for police to be unprotected or unsafe. Rather, they ask that police be properly trained and monitored so as to avoid the rampant violence, panic and discrimination that has become obvious in recent events. They are here to protect and serve. Why would military weapons be given to officers to be used against U.S. citizens? It is unnecessary.

The requirement to wear body cameras, as seen in New Jersey and many other places, is just the beginning. Sadly, this executive order shows that for every one step forward, two steps are taken back when it comes to police reform. 

All images courtesy of Pixabay

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!