Redefining Being a Black Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

“Being a black artist, the first thing people want to talk about is your blackness, the importance of your blackness and your black presence.” –Toyin Odutola

As a freshman in the VCU Art Foundation program, I have found that just in the few weeks of my first semester, I have been exposed to a wide variety of work, styles, designs and ideas. I have always enjoyed and appreciated broader thinking and the discussion of ideas over facts, mostly because I have a bad memory and notoriously struggle with art history. My teachers have made it a point to challenge the usual ways we interpret art and to look for deeper meaning than the cultural symbols we have come to accept, such as what certain colors mean in our culture and society. My teachers have always allowed me and my peers to see a work for whatever we want it to be—except for when it comes to black art. More than a few times, my teachers have needlessly discussed the contributions of a black artist to their communities, the ways that their artwork ties into their racial struggles, and their identity as a black artist. While these things are a large part of the artist identity, I often wonder would it be possible to examine black artists without the pre context of their race and allowing that to solely influence our interpretation of their work.

Two women standing in front of a hedge
Photo by nappy from Pexels

Many artists draw from the impacts of their history and their familial roots to enhance their works, but black artists often experience the expectation that their heritage be a major influence. Throughout history, black artists have used it as a way to cope with their struggles and to spark changeJacob Lawrence used his work to show plantation life and contemporary black life, Romare Bearden utilized collage and a range of mediums to showcase the rising 1920’s black jazz scene and Kehinde Wiley, a more recent artist, re-imagines black men and women as the subject of famous works. These artists’ creations, and many like them, have paved the way for the discussion of social justice on a larger platform and the promotion of talent that would otherwise have been ignored. Even in music, artists like Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Billy Holiday used their catchy tunes and powerful vocals to allow a spotlight to be shown on black musicians and help create important musical genres, such as blues, jazz and rock and roll. The history and significance of black artists should always be appreciated and recognized by future black generations because of how they have allowed for the continued success and recognition they continue to gain today.

woman wearing a white dress and jewelry
Photo by nappy from Pexels
However, black artists should not be confined to their struggles as their only source of inspiration. Across many fields, black artists have begun to arise who allow a variety of things to inspire them—everything from global warming to create collage pieces to popular horror films and recycled materials to create stunning haute couture. Art has even become a way to imagine a future free of these struggles. Afro-futurism is the artistic movement that imagines a future world enabled by ideas of equality and opportunity for African-Americans. Although black artists have been provided a rich and complex history to draw inspiration from and historical figures to admire, it should not be the defining factor or the sole conversation around their work.

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!