This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Each month, Netflix brings a slew of new movies and television shows to choose from. Among these include many Netflix has produced and funded themselves. Whether these movies or shows are good or not is another story. Here is a review of 12 Netflix originals.

1. 3%

Description: A Brazilian thriller, 3% is set in the future where people can choose to live in the “better part” of the world; only if they are mentally and physically superior.

Rate: 4/10

Review: The concept of the show is perfect for the average post-apocalyptic dystopia viewer; however, the acting is not great. It could be that it is lip-dubbed, but it can get frustrating as it is not believable.  

2. Tallulah

Description: This 2016 film features Ellen Page and Allison Janney. The plot follows a young girl who steals a baby and seeks help from her ex-boyfriend’s mother to help raise it.

Rate: 6/10

Review: The movie is an amazing movie for a glorified lifetime special.

3. Orange is the New Black

Description: Based on the real life of Piper Kerman, this critically-acclaimed show follows life in a women’s prison.

Rate: 9/10

Review: This show sheds light on the problems women, POC and queer individuals face in life and in prison. The cast is extremely intersectional and the plot keeps the viewers on their toes.

4. The Killing

Description: Netflix bought and continued this originally Danish series that follows two detectives as they search for a serial killer.

Rate: 8/10

Review: This series is realistic and thrilling. It is gut-wrenching at times, but definitely worth the time.

5. A Series of Unfortunate Events

Description: Based on the novels by Lemony Snickett, this Netflix Original follows the unfortunate events that plague three orphans. 

Rate: 7/10

Review: This series follows the books almost to a T. Plus, anything with Neil Patrick Harris is bound to be amazing. 

6. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Description: Written by Tina Fey, this comedy series follows a “mole woman” who was kept in a bunker by a deranged man for 15 years and her adjustment to the real world with her quirky friends. 

Rate: 7/10

Review: This series takes a dark subject and transforms it into a hilarious and wholesome show. It also touches on mental illness and the prolonged effects of trauma.

7. The Fall

Description: This British hit features Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan. This psychological thriller traces a hunt as a group of detectives search for a serial killer. 

Rate: 8/10

Review: Although this series is slow to get into, the content is worth it. This series goes deep into the mind of a serial killer and tackles issues like women trying to thrive in professions dominated by men. 

8. Bojack Horseman

Description: An adult cartoon, Bojack Horseman follows the crushing reality of a cynical horseman who feels that life has little to no fulfillment. 

Rate: 10/10

Review: This show is truly genius. It is chalked full of political satire and irony that plagues humanity’s social schemes. It points out the flaws that exist in America all while making it fresh and funny. 

9. Grace and Frankie

Description: Two polar-opposite elderly women become best friends after their husbands leave them to marry each other. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are back at it in this comedy. 

Rate: 10/10

Review: Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda’s personal friendship shines through in this series making it one of a kind. These brilliant actresses shed light on the struggles elderly people endure and how friendship is always a remedy for hard times.

10. Beasts of No Nation

Description: This movie focuses on an African civil war and the connection between a warlord and his relationship with an orphan who joins his group of guerrilla soldiers. 

Rate: 8/10

Review: The filming is beautifully brutal and it offers a realistic understanding of what was going on at the time. The acting is impeccable especially, Idris Elba. 

11. Jessica Jones

Description: Jessica Jones is a female superhero whose career as a superhero is cut short. The series follows Jones’ life in New York and her detective agency. 

Rate: 5/10

Review: Although the series is action packed, the acting is sub par at best. 

12. The Kalief Browder Story

Description: This documentary discusses the life and suicide of Kaleif Browder. The United States Justice Department failed the 16-year-old as he spent three years at Rikers Island jail awaiting his trail; two of those years were spent in solitary confinement. 

Rate: 10/10

Review: This should be seen by everyone as it is relevant to many current issues in America. It discusses the need for criminal justice reform and calls for the stop of mass incarceration. It points out political and socioeconomic situations that are dictated by oppression. It also addresses the rapid increase in suicide among young African American males. 

Next time you are thinking about what to binge watch on Netflix, do yourself a favor and watch one of these Netflix originals. Some of these are a can’t miss!

Photo credits: cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

Emily Holter is a Freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She studies Mass Communications with a concentration in Print and Online Journalism. She is an avid reader of books, a lover of all things Cher, and a flower enthusiast. Most days, she is tucked away in a coffee shop, sipping on her black coffee and enjoying light conversation.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!