This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I thought it would be interesting to see what people think the worst Thanksgiving dishes are since the food is obviously the most important part of the Thanksgiving holiday. After asking my followers on Instagram and Facebook, I got responses from all ages, the youngest being 15 and the eldest in their late 70s. In total, I got 63 responses. It was fun to see what the opinions of people I know are. Though this is not the proper way to conduct a survey, other articles and surveys I consulted online are pretty comparable.

green bean casserole

This is not a dish my family has at Thanksgiving, but surprisingly many people seem to hate it. Looking up recipes for it, there seems to always be a can of soup or something of the sort added which seems kind of strange to put in a dish. 

TURKEY and STUFFING

Turkey and stuffing, two foods that are staples amongst most Thanksgiving participants, tied for the third most hated dish with seven votes each. I am a vegetarian, so I don’t eat either of these now, but I was never the biggest turkey or stuffing fan prior either. Turkey is always dry and stuffing is bread with vegetables in it, neither really anything special. 

SWEET POTATOES

This makes me sad to put on here because I think sweet potatoes are really good, especially when you add brown sugar or marshmallows, but the people have spoken. Yams and sweet potatoes were the second least popular Thanksgiving dish with 14 votes together. I did not like them for a long time, so I understand where people are coming from when they point out how weird it is to have a sweet vegetable alongside other dishes. 

Cranberries

16 people submitted either canned cranberries or cranberry sauce as their least favorite dish at Thanksgiving. Most say it is gross and unnecessary. Cranberry sauce is very jello-like, which is strange to have alongside other dinner dishes. At my family’s Thanksgiving meal, we have cranberry sauce, and there is always a lot leftover. It is not something I look forward to and it usually comes out of a can so I understand why most people who responded did so with cranberry sauce.

Everyone’s Thanksgiving is different and everyone has different least favorite dishes, but after hearing from people on Instagram and Facebook and consulting the world wide web, there is some consensus on what foods are the worst. Maybe I will propose to my family scratching a couple of dishes no one really looks forward to and switch it up by adding new ones next year. 

While it is fun to debate about and eat Thanksgiving foods, be sure to reflect on a few things you are thankful for this year. I am thankful for many things this year and am especially glad I get to spend quality time with my family on Thanksgiving day. I hope everyone has a nice holiday, be sure to debate which foods are the worst at the dinner table on Thursday. 

Maddie Quigley is a political science major with a minor in media studies. She is a vegetarian, plant-lover, avid reader and she enjoys talking politics.