This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Richmond has a plethora of thrifting hot spots. Perhaps the most known locations are the many Goodwill stores in the area. In fact, there are at least 15 in close-ish proximity to VCU’s Monroe Park Campus. 

I’ll do the hard work for you and let you in on my favorite Goodwill locations in Richmond. All have different things to offer — as well as their own drawbacks. Here are my top five.

gay avenue

This is my absolute favorite and my most frequented Goodwill in the area. It’s only about a 15-minute drive from the MCV campus and has the best to offer, in my opinion.

I think everyone has a section they first hit upon arriving at their local Goodwill. For me lately, it’s been decor, and they have a very broad selection. Their dishware is plentiful and they usually have really good furniture. You can always count on seeing some of the weirdest knick-knacks at this location. Their dress selection is decent, with a huge shoe and purse collection. I’d say their book section is alright.

They have the best prices in the area, as far as I’ve seen. Overall, I have no complaints about this Goodwill. Bonus points for it not being too busy. 

Address: 3979 Gay Ave., Henrico, VA 23231

8018 W Broad St.

This location was pretty close to being first but falls just a little short of the former. I think they have the largest amount of everything and definitely the highest number of mugs to choose from. They always have super cute displays, especially at the front of the store. They usually do themes like Christmas, Valentine’s Day and even wedding decor.

The only reason I put this at number two is due to the slightly poorer luck I have here. They still have a lot of great items to offer. This location is also usually somewhat busy.

Address: 8018 W Broad St., Richmond, VA 23294

6202 W Broad St.

This location has some of the worst and most unreasonable prices despite having very good items. I find myself battling a lot if their prices are worth the things I’m interested in buying. If it matters to you, they have one of the worst, most narrow parking lots I’ve ever seen. They have a small men’s clothing and furniture section. Minus many points for having no books.

Otherwise, they have really cute, unique dishware and a great dress selection. I usually see good brands like Princess Polly and Pretty Little Thing with tags still on them too.

Address: 6202 W Broad St., Richmond, VA 23230

Washington Highway

This is a small, quaint location. I like it because there aren’t many people, which sometimes can mean less competition if you take it seriously (no judgment). Their clothing selection is okay. They do have amazing prices, especially for the furniture they offer. The CD and movie section is the biggest I’ve seen in the area.

Address: 10231 Washington Highway, Glen Allen, VA 23059

short pump

Last and certainly least is the location in Short Pump. It’s never not busy and they have outrageous prices, considering getting all of their stock for free. I will say they have a really good and large amount of decor and dishware. They also have many sections of clothing and shoes to choose from. I’ve never had luck with their shoes, though. I only frequent(ish) this location because they have the cutest farmer’s market next to them, Tom Leonard’s. They have the best cookies and produce at reasonable prices, so I will use this opportunity to promote them.

Address: 4200 Tom Leonard Drive, Glen Allen, VA 23060

As I said, there are many Goodwills in the Richmond area, so I can’t rate them all. I hope my tips help you narrow down your route on your next thrifting day. I suggest giving all of these locations a try. Maybe you’ll have better luck at some and like what you find!

Abigale Darnell (she/her) is a student in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University with a minor in Creative Writing. She has an interest in holistic wellness, female empowerment, fashion and pop culture.