The Pros and Cons of Having a Big Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

People have accused you of being “too nice” and caring too much of what others think of you. You can’t help it; you have a big heart. You’re always willing to give others advice and put others’ needs before your own. It’s not always easy having a big heart, but it’s not such a bad thing either. 

Pros:

You see the good in people

While others may be complaining about how annoying a person is, you tend to defend them. You talk about their good qualities and you’re quick to recognize they may just be having a bad day. You will defend the good in people you know ’til you’re blue in the face.

You have lots of love to give

Your loved ones always feel the love from you. You will support and praise them ’til the end. It’s not hard for you to make others feel appreciated

You’re a great listener

Your friends and loved ones always come to you for a free therapy session. You listen and let them spill their problems to you without a second thought. You’ll tell them your thoughts and give advice; they never regret coming to you.

You remember the small details

When someone tells you even just a small detail about themselves, you never forget it. That means you always know the perfect gifts to buy or activities to plan for the people around you. People are surprised when they realize you remembered something they said to you three years ago, but it’s just in your nature.

You are well-mannered

“Please,” “Thank you” and “You’re welcome” all come naturally to you. You know how to tell people around you that you appreciate what they’ve done. You appreciate everyone from loved ones to the waitress that you don’t know. You’ll always make sure to let her know you’re thankful for her service.

You are aware and in touch with your emotions

Some people get really confused and are unaware of the emotions they feel, but not you. You know exactly how you feel and you aren’t afraid to embrace it. You let the tears flow whether they be happy or sad.

Cons:

You forgive and give second chances easily—too easily

Someone did you wrong, but after just a little convincing you’ve already forgiven them. You believe in second (or more) chances even if someone doesn’t deserve them. Knowing that you have a big heart, some people take advantage of you.

People think you’re “weak” or “sensitive”

You always feel bad for others who are suffering and you always cry during sad movies. It’s always easy for someone to hurt your feelings. When you try to explain why you are hurt or sad, people label you as “weak” or “sensitive” for not suppressing your emotions.

You hold onto things

You have a tendency to hold on to things because you feel them more deeply than others do. Arguments, disagreements and sad situations hold a place in your mind and heart.

You get taken for granted

It’s hard for you to say “No” or “I’ll think about it” when someone asks you to do a favor for them. People volunteer you for things because you can never say no and you always put others’ needs before your own.

You are too trusting

When someone says they will do something you tend to trust and believe them. You are a reliable person and tend to have faith that others are too. Then, when a person lets you down, you realize you trusted them way too much.

You always love more in relationships

When it comes to significant others, you are the lovey-dovey one in the relationship. You show PDA, cherish them and shower them with love. It’s okay to show your love for your significant other, but sometimes, you end up feeling like the relationship isn’t equal.

You follow your heart no matter where you go. You may be emotional more than others, but that does not by any means that you are weak or that people can step all over you. Use your big heart and kindness to show the world that it’s okay to feel things and show love once in a while.

Ashley is a Senior at Virginia Commmonwealth University majoring in mass communications concentrating in print & online journalism. She is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at VCU and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists at VCU. She is an avid coffee drinker, dog lover and dreamer. She hopes to one day be a reporter for a newspaper, magazine, or an online version of the two.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!