Style > Beauty

The Post-Halloween Detox You Didn’t Know Your Skin Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Your skin will be crying in a few days. I know we don’t always think it, but the candy and binge drinking does eventually catch up to us, especially with our skin. Breakouts, dry skin and anything else you can think off probably will happen to your skin after the weekend. The funny thing is most people don’t even realize the best way to treat this is by just adding a couple steps to your current routine. You don’t need much to get your skin back to the glowing, dewy look we all spend our hard-earned money on. This routine has been working for me for months and granted, it takes a little bit of time, but I think it becomes super easy overtime. You’ll be seeing the difference in no time.

Exfoliate

Surprisingly, a lot of people don’t realize this, but exfoliating is one of the most important steps in any skin routine. Think about it: the goal of taking care of your skin is keeping it healthy so you can get the clean and fresh look you want. But how can you do that if you keep treating dead skin? Without exfoliating every day, you’re just putting your skincare products and makeup on dead skin so you really have no chance of reaching the new skin underneath that dead stuff without using an exfoliator. I use one in the morning as the first thing I put on my face and one at night, again as the first step. If you’re just starting out, don’t go crazy. I just use Clean N Clear’s exfoliator and it works like a charm. 

Cleanser Vs. Acne Wash… Which First? 

It’s not uncommon for people to know that the order you use your products really change the long-term outcome of your skin, so just to clear up any misconceptions: use cleanser first and then use whatever acne wash or scrub after the cleanser. But, make sure to try out a couple cleansers and acne washes because chances are you’ve been using the same ones for a while and you may not know if others work out better on your skin. The easiest and most inexpensive way to do this is by trying out a friend’s or getting samples from Sephora. I use Neutrogena Russia’s Visibly Clear Cleanser and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash in that order. 

Toner

I’m sure all of you know of, or probably have toner, but the key is using it consistently. Besides exfoliator, toner has probably changed my skin the most. Another important point is to use toner after you’ve done everything that requires water on your face (exfoliator, cleanser, etc.) and not in the middle of those steps. Again, you probably know this, but consistency is the key. Without it, there would be no difference in your skin. I use toner three times a day: in the morning, sometime in the middle of the day to look glowy again, and then at night. My favorite is Thayer’s Witch Hazel toner because of the quality at its price point, so definitely check that out if you don’t have a favorite toner yet. 

Moisturizer and Eye Cream

After this long (but worthwhile) process, I finally use my moisturizer (it’s just a basic Cetaphil). After I do everything, I use Versed’s Soothing Eye Cream, which is a little more on the expensive side but helps solve the problem of under-eyebags, rashes and discoloration quickly. The only tip I have for this is to make sure you put your eye cream under the moisturizer so it actually penetrates your skin. Eye creams seem like something your mom would use, but I promise it makes all the difference. After using it for a few weeks, I saw a huge difference in my under eyes—especially if you invest in a good quality eye cream like Versed or Olay. I’m sure after your week of partying, you will be more than tired and your eyes will 100% give it away if you don’t use eye cream. 

Moisturize Your Lips

Okay, before you click out of this screen because you officially think I’m psychotic, hear me out. For us girls who get super dry lips in the winter or just from dehydration, (which I guarantee you’ll experience after Halloweekend) putting on chapstick every five minutes doesn’t cut it anymore. So to solve this actual nightmare, I started using a night lip mask which helps so much. Laneige’s lip sleeping masks are probably one of the best skincare products I own. All you do is put it on your lips before you go to bed and wipe it off in the morning. Literally easy as that. After I take it off in the morning, I put some vaseline on my lips (that is how chapped they are) and then Versed’s Conditioning Lip Oil which is essentially a lip gloss and moisturizer all in one. This makes the biggest difference for me and if you try it, I bet you won’t be applying chapstick every ten seconds this winter.

I know, I know. That was probably so much info, but you know what, your skin really do be like that. Yes, it may take some extra work and you may need to apply an extra facemask or two after this Halloweekend, but I promise just adding a couple of things to your routine will make a huge difference in your skin. These steps are not just for repair after the absolute damage that’s about to happen to your skin (and liver) this month, but also for the coming winter months. So rest easy, and know that your skin will go back to glowing in just a few days after Oct. 31. 

Merry is a third-year political science & economics double major at Boston University. She is a former fashion merchandising major and hopes to work in editorial fashion, PR, or social media post-graduation while also focusing on the journalistic aspects of both her majors. She currently contributes to a number of publications while simultaneously working as an editor at Her Campus BU. Merry was also previously the managing editor of Her Campus at VCU and worked as an editorial intern for Her Campus Media. Contact her at mariamgnebiyu@gmail.com & @merry.nebiyu on Instagram.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!