This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Nowadays, everyone has a podcast. Some people call it a saturated medium or just annoying, but I love it because that means there’s literally a podcast for everyone. And while that means a bigger selection, it also means it’s extremely hard to find podcasts that you actually like because who has the time to go looking, right? I’ve been an avid listener of podcasts for the past couple of years and they make my life so much easier when I’m listening to the right one. In these past few years, I’ve been able to listen to dozens of podcasts but I keep coming back to the same few. I love them so much that I send them to all of my friends and I actually get excited to have time to listen to them. Here are my faves so you don’t have to do the dirty work:

The Skinny Confidential Him & Her Show

The TSC podcast was my first love in the podcast world, and every Tuesday and Thursday I can guarantee that I’m waking up looking forward to their new episodes. The creator, Lauryn Evarts Bosstick of The Skinny Confidential, and her husband Michael, interview individuals from so many different professions: beauty, health, sports, fashion and so many more. Even if I don’t recognize their guests at times, I never regret listening because everything they discuss is so interesting and valuable to my own life. From this podcast, I’ve picked up stoicism, intermittent fasting and a million skincare tips. They seriously have so much to offer and are completely committed to giving their audience value, which you can definitely tell right off the bat. If I had to listen to only one podcast from now on, this is definitely it and I can guarantee that you’ll love it as much as I do. 

Stiff Socks Podcast

Okay, I don’t know about you but comedians aren’t normally my thing, like ever. I just somehow have never found professional comedians that actually get me to laugh consistently. Maybe it’s my weird sense of humor, or the fact that I can’t relate to any of the comedians I’ve listened to so far, but it’s always just been a miss for me until I heard the Stiff Socks podcast. This podcast is definitely not for everyone, but it is for those who think that they like weird and extremely random humor, because that’s essentially what it is. The hosts, Trevor Wallace and Michael Blaustein, are both millennial, full-time comedians who just record their streams of consciousness and their conversations, while also giving advice here and there. The podcast never fails to make my day when I listen to it and most of the time, I just end up on the floor dying laughing. If you’re looking for a comedic podcast, it’s definitely one you should check out.

What We Said Podcast 

Jaci Marie Smith and Chelsea Curtis have both been described over and over as some of the most inspiring women for young adults and college students, and I completely agree. As best friends, they host the What We Said podcast which has consistently been one of the most top-rated shows on iTunes. Both women are extremely selective in who they interview on their podcasts, making it so valuable and full of advice and inspiration. They interview mothers, entrepreneurs, influencers and the list goes on. Jaci and Chelsea have such a knack for highlighting different passions within people, which makes the episodes so insightful and they have definitely made me feel inspired in more ways than one. The topics they cover take a backseat to the people they interview which I love and they are some of the most genuine hosts I’ve listened to. The show continuously inspires me and I know that it will inspire you too.

Political Gabfest

Every Thursday, I can guarantee you will find me listening to Slate’s Political Gabfest. I am a sucker for news and politics (I know, right?) because I love being informed and think it’s one of a college student’s greatest assets. For those who find this as enjoyable as I do, Political Gabfest is the podcast for you. The hosts, David Plott, Emily Bazlon and John Dickerson talk about the week’s top news stories along with their thoughts on the political state of our country at this point in time. One thing I think is important to note is that the hosts look at every issue from a non-partisan point of view, which means that you’re hearing the facts along with their perspectives from many different points of view. The show is so informative while also being entertaining, which I think makes a great way to get your news every week. 

Call Her Daddy

I know most of you, if not all of you, know this one. From the moment Call Her Daddy began, it was a hit. If you don’t know though, Call Her Daddy, hosted by Alexandra Cooper and Sofia Franklyn, essentially covers everything related to dating, sex, relationships and everything in between. Alex and Sofia have interviews, answer listener calls and have built up a fanbase like no other. The girls talk about everything, and I mean everything, and aren’t shy about their opinions on any situation or topic they’re covering. That being said, this show is not for the faint of heart. I promise you, every unpopular opinion ever thought has been said on this show, but that’s why it’s been consistently in the top five on iTunes since they began over a year ago. If you ever need advice on any situation or just want a laugh, tune in on Wednesdays and join the Daddy Gang. 

I’m so excited for you all to try out these podcasts because they have honestly changed my life in so many ways, and I know they’ll change yours as well. If you’re looking for a platform where these podcasts are available, iTunes, Spotify or other apps like Stitcher will do the trick. Happy listening and I hope they entertain you as much as they entertain me!

Merry is a third-year political science & economics double major at Boston University. She is a former fashion merchandising major and hopes to work in editorial fashion, PR, or social media post-graduation while also focusing on the journalistic aspects of both her majors. She currently contributes to a number of publications while simultaneously working as an editor at Her Campus BU. Merry was also previously the managing editor of Her Campus at VCU and worked as an editorial intern for Her Campus Media. Contact her at mariamgnebiyu@gmail.com & @merry.nebiyu on Instagram.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!