Passport to … Philippines (Las Pilipinas) !!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This week Ispoke to a lovely young lady named Tatiana Rojero. She is currently a senior majoring in Spanish and Biology, planning on going into Health Care administration. Tatiana has not been to the land she calls her home since the 90s but she was able to share some favorite memories, culture and aspirations for the Philippines.

Name: Tatiana Rojero

Major: Spanish and Biology

Nationality: Filipino

Name something you can find/do in the Philippines that you can’t do here?
 I am going to name two things, one is very good, and one is bad. The bad thing is Balut. You know how here in the United States we have eggs and when we crack it open, out comes the yolk; well, over there they let the eggs fertilize, the baby duck or chicken is half way developed, you see the feathers and bones. People like to season them and eat, but I don’t care too much for it.

The good thing is they sell ice cream on bread. It is delicious, like a hot dog bun with three scoops of ice creams. Something like an ice cream sandwich, it is amazing. And it is also cheaper for them to put the ice cream on bread then to buy plastic cups.

What is the most remarkable
 things about your culture? 
If you notice a lot of Filipinos are very musical. They sing very well or they play an instrument. I do not know if it is still as prevalent in the city areas, but I know they still do it in the country areas. When a guy wants to start dating a girl, he gathers a group of his friends and they sing and play the guitar under the young ladies window at like three or four o’clock in the morning…It’s so cute, I wish they did that here.

If you could describe the Philippines in one word, what would it be?
Ethereal! Everything is just so green. There is mist covering half of the country, it is like a magical fairytale place, with tall green trees and mountains.

If someone was to travel to the Philippines, where is the first place that he/she should visit? And why?
Borucay, it is an Island. Of course there are beautiful beaches everywhere, but this one has enough civilization. It’s very idyllic, you feel like your apart of nature.

What is your wish for Philippines?
I wish I could end government corruption. It is more expensive for you to own a business then for you to work for one, get it? Like here in the United States, it pays off when you own a business, yes you may struggle, but it defiantly pays off in the end. In the Philippines, you’re paying more to bribe the police men not to come and raid your store. I pray that government corruption will end.
Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo