Passport to … Nigeria!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This week I had the opportunity to speak with a young lady named
Temilola Matey. Temilola is a current Senior majoring in Exercise Science, with the hopes of furthering her education is Health Administration. While speaking with Miss Matey she shared some childhood memories, exciting family traditions, hopes and aspirations that she has for Nigeria.

Name : Temilola Matey

Major : Exercise Science

Nationality : Nigerian

Name something that you can find in Nigeria that you can not do here?

I know traffic is an issue every where, but traffic in Nigeria is crazy. Road rage is something serious. There are some angry, impatient, crazy drivers in Nigeria!

What is the most remarkable thing about your culture?

Most remarkable thing would have to be the “spraying of money.” At special occasions like weddings, people tend to spray the celebrants with money. After a while everyone tends to get sprayed on. My friend’s mother had just had an event, and she got about $4000 sprayed on her. The most I ever made a night was about $300. Before weddings my mom makes me go to the bank and withdraw money — all ones. People tend to think I’m a stripper, but I’m not it’s just my culture.

If you could describe Nigeria in one word, what would it be?

The one word that comes to my mind is culture. When Nigerians see somebody, especially an elder we prostrate to them. It’s a sign of respect. I do not do it to my mom because we are very close, but some people prostrate to their parents.  I do prostrate to my grandparents. 

If someone was to travel to Nigeria where is the first place he or she should visit? And why?

I would have to say Lagos. It’s the city! Lagos is the former capital city, but the current city it Abuja. They have beautiful buildings, landmarks, and houses. There is so much to do. You meet a lot of people there, and a great place to visit as a tourist.

What is your favorite memory of Nigeria? 

My favorite memory of Nigeria would have to be at my cousin’s wedding. I had an amazing time and met so many of my family members. It is always great getting to meet extended family.

If you could give back to Nigeria what would you do?

Since my major is Exercise Science, I plan on going to graduate school for Health Administration. I want to do something to help the health system in Nigeria.

What is your wish for Nigeria?

For Nigeria to regroup and regain structure. Everything is all over the place. Nigeria just over came a strike over fuel. Airlines were shutting down, people were going on strike and protesting everywhere. There is no order in the country. I just want my country to come together as one. Everyone is trying to dominate and take control. People have said Nigeria is corrupt, but I believe corruption is everywhere. It is just a country with a lot of people trying to voice their opinions at once. I believe that one day Nigeria will be able to come together as one, and try to agree on decisions to make the country the peaceful and prosperous place that it was and has the potential to be.

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo