An Open Letter to the Valentine-less on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Reader, 

No valentine? It’s okay, me either.

I’m not going to try to convince you that you don’t need a valentine because hey, we already know it would be really nice to have one. But, if you don’t, try not to sweat it too much. There will be many, many more February 14th’s to come.

When V-Day comes, it may be hard to ignore what you see couples doing for each other, and it may feel like everyone is in a relationship except you. But guess what? I know this may sound cheesy, but you have yourself. If you don’t have anyone to go out on a candlelit dinner with next week, spend some time worrying about you. Do what makes you happy, because in life you’ll always have yourself to depend on.

Maybe do a movie marathon on Netflix to get you in a warm mood, order from your favorite place to eat or just have a nice night in practicing self-care — whatever that means for you. Chances are, you’re not the only person in the world without a valentine (even if it seems like it), so why not invite some friends to join you?

It’s also important to remember that before you think about becoming romantically involved with someone on a more serious level, it’s important to love yourself first. Make sure that you and your well-being is your first priority. As author Rupi Kaur writes in her book, “Milk and Honey,” “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.” After thinking over this statement, I couldn’t agree more. Take time with yourself. Learn more about who you are and what you need to blossom into the wonderful being you’ve always imagined you’d be.

Again, try not to take being single on Valentine’s Day to heart (no pun intended). After all, the basis of the holiday is just a reason for people to buy things for each other. If you have yourself, who says you need anyone else to make you feel special? Appreciate you.

Love,

Someone who is currently practicing self-love 

Brezaja is a sophomore studying film in the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. When not writing articles for Her Campus at VCU, you can usually find them endlessly browsing Netflix or checking social media, mostly Instagram and Twitter. They try to be as open-minded as possible, and don't mind having conversations with others about social issues. After college, they dream of being an art director for films.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!