An Open Letter To The Obama’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Barack Obama,

Nov. 4, 2008 is a day I will never forget. I tried my best to fight off sleep wondering who the next president of the United States would be. I woke up to good news, news that will go down in history forever. You were elected president of the United States — the first black president at that. I was so ecstatic at school that day that my happiness overwhelmed me. I instantly got shirts with your face on it, cups of you and your wife Michelle and a new presidential place mat. I was an 11-year-old girl in the sixth grade realizing I was living in history. I remember watching your inauguration on television and your inaugurational ball knowing how much of a difference you were going make to this country. I had so much faith in you.

As I’m 19 now writing this in my college dorm room, I’m reminiscing on the times you brought change to this country for the best. You recognized that same-sex marriage is not a crime, but a victory for America. You knew not everyone could afford healthcare so you created Obamacare to lower healthcare costs and make it affordable. You sent troops to Pakistan to kill Osama Bin Laden, and you brought troops back home from Iraq and Afghanistan. Your charisma, your sense of humor, ambition and hardworking ways showed me that I stood behind you and our country. You proved yourself to the United States again when you won your second term and pushed the country in a progressive direction. I was rooting for you Mr. Obama, not only me but my family and friends. You are the epitome of change and always will be.

I also could not write this letter without thanking Michelle as well. Thank you for giving me a role model to look up to besides my own mom. You felt like my second mother. Your intelligence, your elegance and your strong power is everything that I inspire to be as woman and for that I thank you, Michelle. Thank you for holding my president up when I know he was feeling down, and remaining on his side 24/7. Not to mention I want to thank you for giving not only myself but women around the world a role model to look up to.

Jan. 20, 2017 as your term came to a close I told myself I would not weep but reminisce on your eight years and all the accomplishments you had in office. No matter what you will always be MY president and as you would say “Yes We Can, Yes We Did”.

Kelsey is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying mass communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. When she is not involved with school, she likes to catch up on her reality shows and stuff her face with Snicker bars.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!