An Open Letter to My Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dad: Noun, One’s father.

Looking up this definition, clearly knowing already what it means, just reiterated that it has the simplest definition there is for such a huge and what should be significant role in someone’s life. Now, I know not everyone has their dad in their life, has one in general, nor needs one because everyone lives a different life with different stories, but to me – dad, you are definitely one of my number 1’s. To be a dad, like the dad you are, you are certainly defined more than just “one’s father”. I am so blessed to be able to say that.

Growing up, I cannot be more thankful for the role you’ve played and continue to play in our families lives. You’ve always been that backbone, that support and a person that has continuously motivated us to succeed. Thank you for showing me what a man should be, exemplified in many aspects of your life but mostly for always treating my mother as a woman should be treated. Thank you for showing me such drive in your career. Never wanting to sit still even if it is after retirement, for doing things around the house that are not as urgent as you make them out to be and for still striving to meet the goals you continuously set for yourself. You showed me to never stop thriving to be better, never stop chasing any dreams because why would I?

Now, I think I fully can comply to what it means to be a “daddy’s girl”. We have a bond that is pretty incredible, with our personalities being so similar there are some things that we are the only ones who truly do get each other. The basis of personality I know comes from you, just in the tiny quirks that I know I truly could have to have only gotten from you. The father and daughter bond is a real thing and it goes beyond our general personalities. It comes in other things, like fitness and activity. You were always such a supportive in whatever I took part in sport or school wise. If it wasn’t for seeing your motivation and drive to stay active I probably wouldn’t be as focused on keeping a solid workout regime. Thanks for that, that is definitely beneficial while being a sometimes stressed out college student.

As a man who’s done so much in life and continues to do so, you’ve endured things that I don’t speak of because it doesn’t define you. That might just be my favorite thing about you. You don’t let anything negative define you, you somehow manage to get through any and everything, coming out even better than you were before. How impressive is that. You impress me everyday, whether you know it or not. I know I don’t tell you nearly enough! You have truly shown me to enjoy and appreciate the little things, and you’ve always reminded me to simply “Enjoy Today”. Thanks dad.  

Much love always,

your daughter

Cover photo by Chanta Moore. All other photos by author.

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!