An Open Letter to My Boyfriend, on His Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Amore,

I’m writing you this letter for couple of reasons; to let you know that I love you, but the main reason is to let you know how much you mean to me. Without going into great detail, my life has been a difficult one. I wasn’t at all treated the way I deserved to be treated, and I allowed it to happen. This changed right when I met you, in the silliest of ways, and it ended up being one of the greatest events of my life.

Meeting you for the first time was not a good example of a great first impression, I’m naturally awkward and asked if you prayed before you ate… You gave me this look like you wanted to run and I quickly said “I swear to God I don’t pray before I eat.” I then knew that was it, I’d officially become a cat lady. That’s still a possibility but such a small one compared to then. I’m reminding you of all of this because despite how weird I am, you taught me (without knowing it) that my awkwardness can sometimes be charming. No matter what happens in our future, I want you to know you’ve most definitely changed my life. You’ve taught me so much about so many things. I’m honestly beyond lucky to have you in my life. I can say that I genuinely don’t think I’ve ever felt for someone the way I’ve felt and continue to feel for you.  

Some people overuse the word “love” or aren’t realistic about where the relationship is headed. Some people can’t trust who they’re with, they have suspicions, or they get bored. I can say with certainty; we don’t have these issues. I don’t think some people understand the importance of having a best friend in the person they’re romantic with. You’re my best friend. If the worst thing about our relationship is that we’ll need an apartment with two bathrooms or that you think my memes aren’t funny, I think we’ll be able to manage. You let me listen to my weird super foreign music, you laugh at my jokes specifically when I’m aware that they’re not funny. You do so much for me and your cute texts keep me smiling and make my day so much brighter. 

I could talk for hours about how amazing you are, but the point is, I wish you nothing but the happiness that you’ve brought me. I wish you a wonderful day to which celebrates how awesome you are. I’m so excited to spend as many more birthdays with you as you want me to. You’re such an amazing person and you show me more and more everyday just how true that statement is. 

Happy birthday, Amore.

Love,

Your one and only Chicken Nugget. 

Giulia; an avid coffee drinker and brilliant selfie taker, is a full-time senior at Virginia Commonweath Universtiy. Studying International Studies, and is minoring in both Italian studies as well as Sociology. She enjoys speaking her native language (Italian) and that feeling after you hit submit on blackboard at 11:58 pm. You can follow her on Twitter @BaciPerFavore for tweets about anything and everything irrelevant. Giulia hopes to one day get up the courage to audition for Grey's Anatomy Season 56 (or maybe just travel).
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!