This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Malia,

You looked amazing at Lollapalooza back in July, and I thoroughly enjoyed the choreo. I’m sorry that the media can be so negative and judgmental when it comes to you, but unfortunately, there isn’t much that I can do about that other than tell you that you’re okay in my book. I’m not sure when the writers of online journals are going to realize that you’re no longer the little girl that stood next to your daddy at one of his infamous speeches back in 2008, but when they do, I’ll let them know that you’re in college now. I’ll tell them that you’re an 18-year-old now (whether they want to believe it or not). I’ll tell them that you’re allowed to have friends; that you’re allowed to have fun. I’ll tell them that you look like you’re having a great time.

I mean, heaven forbid you dance for longer than five seconds at a MUSIC FESTIVAL or be caught standing next to a red Solo cup. I want you to know that this is not a matter of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is a matter of others refusing to mind their own business and if the people that are calling you their friend are the same people selling unsolicited pictures of you to bloggers that only want to tear you apart, then they are just as guilty. The internet has reached a whole new level of nosey when it comes to you, but I promise to #ProtectMaliaObamaAtAllCosts and any presidential daughter slander will be addressed. With that being said, I want you to know that I know that there are so many people that expect perfection from you at all times simply because of who you are, but just because you are President Obama’s daughter does not mean that you do not get to enjoy your summer or your college experience.

I’ve noticed that you’ve been glowing lately, and I can’t help but think that it has something to do with the fact that you feel free. You stand next to what the media has called “drug paraphernalia” with the most unbothered look on your face, and I am here for it. You’ve walked around the campus of Harvard University in a shirt that reads “SMOKING KILLS” shortly after the media blasted you for having what looked like a cigarette in your mouth and I am (still) here for it.

So, Malia, I want you to know that I’m proud of you. You’re having a good time; you’re ignoring what the media has to say and you’re being yourself all while earning a degree from Harvard University. I think it’s safe to say that you aren’t worried about a hater anyway.

Keep making them mad, girl. I’m loving it.

Sincerely,

I’ve got your back.

Erica Dabney is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. Some of her favorite activities include discovering new music, tearing down the patriarchy and dining out at black-owned restaurants in Richmond. She plans to graduate with her bachelors in journalism in 2019.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!