An Open Letter to the Friend I Wish I Had Met Sooner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Hey Friend.

At this point, I’m not too sure how I made it so long without you. We knew each other for most of our lives, yet only befriended each other our senior year. From the moment we started talking for the first time, I instantly knew we were going to be friends for life. You have been there for me through every major moment in my adult life, and I for yours. Through our college acceptances and rejections, angst over the perfect prom dress and the tears and relief of graduation, all the way to our college move on and beyond, you have been there for me every step of the way.

You’ve been there through things not even my friends for years have been there for, proving for sure that it’s not the length of time you’ve known the person but the quality of the person. I don’t know how I survived without you in my life for so long—because at this point I cannot imagine a single day of my life without you. I would have no one to blow (way, way, way) too much money on makeup with, no one to drive a little too fast and listen to music a little too loudly with and no one to share my mutual obsession over ice cream with.

I’m one of those people who firmly believes that everything happens for a reason, and I think that you came into my life when you did for a reason. You came into my life at a time I was lost, confused and didn’t know who exactly I was—and with your friendship, I found myself and realized what I was supposed to do. I really don’t think I could have gotten this far in college or in life without you or your constant guidance (and 50 phone calls a day).

Our friendship hasn’t been easy by any means, and one of the only problems with being so similar that we’re almost twins is that we’re both incredibly stubborn. There’s definitely been some stupid fights and arguments we’ve gotten in that only ended in us being closer than ever—and that’s what true friendship is. I wouldn’t trade anything about our past since that’s what has made us so strong.

I only wish we had started being closer sooner. I wish you had been able to be there for all of my significant moments, not only my adult ones. Getting any kind of news doesn’t feel real until you have been Facetimed and told and squealed over it with me. You’re a part of me in the same way that all of our memories are a part of me—you have made me who I am and shaped me in a way I didn’t think a friend could. There’s no way I could ever thank you enough for that—you and I both know that I can only express my feelings in writing, but I can’t even come up with the words necessary for how incredibly grateful I am you came into my life when you did.

Though I wish we had met sooner, you’ve made my life such a brighter place since you’ve come into it. So thank you for picking me up off the ground and always making sure I know what an incredible best friend I have. I really couldn’t ask for anything more.

Image sources: cover photo, 1, 2, 3

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!