This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Dreamer, 

I want you to know that it’s perfectly okay to set goals for yourself that may seem unattainable right now, and that’s perfectly okay.

Those visions that you have of yourself – working that great job, moving to a big city after graduating, studying abroad – are perfectly normal to have, and make life all the more exciting. These dreams are meant to motivate you to be the best you can be, so don’t ignore those visions that flash through your mind when you’re at work, in class or just sitting at home. Those are definitely there for a reason, and don’t allow anyone to tell you that the ideas that you have for yourself or your future are unrealistic. This may sound cliche, but we really can do anything that we put our minds to. You’d be surprised to learn how much you can accomplish once you add determination, practice and a positive mindset to whatever you are trying to achieve.

The next point I want to touch on is the importance of following your gut instinct. Many times, we will ignore this because we feel that we are being too ambitious, or we are thinking in a sort of passive matter about things that we are truly passive about. Allow yourself to feel excitement, and take in how your body and mind responds to the ideas and goals that you set for yourself. How do you feel? Optimistic? Excited? Great. Hold on to that feeling, and remind yourself that this is the only fuel you need to drive closer to your passion or achieving your goal. Listen to your heart because it will always steer you in the right direction. Trust me.

It doesn’t hurt to let your goals be known to the universe, either. The universe is always listening. Vision boards, journaling and using social media to communicate your goals are just a few of the many ways that can help make your dream a reality. It could also help connect you with others who may be able to help make that dream come true, or connect you with a community of like-minded people which could help emphasize the importance of following those ideas even more. 

The journey to one’s goals isn’t always a straight path. Most of the time, there may be one – or a few – obstacles that may get in the way. Don’t feel deterred by this. This is usually only a test of the universe to assess how truly dedicated you are to getting whatever you deserve. It is also important to remember that nothing in life is meant to be easy access. We have to work for what we truly want, and therefore once we get it, the reward will be so much sweeter. Imagine feeling confident in yourself AND being exactly where you want to be in life. It’s a win-win situation all around.

Support from family and friends is also another aspect of this journey that can boost your confidence and help turn your goals into a reality. When you have a team of people behind you, those obstacles may not seem as daunting as they would if you were on your own. Make sure you have a good support system and people to be there to comfort you and help you get back up if you fall. Make sure that the people you surround yourself with encourage these ideals you have, and that they encourage you to always be the best person you can be. I can speak from personal experience when I say that it means the world to always have people in my corner. It makes me feel like I can do anything, and it motivates me to stay focused. So, if you don’t have one already, I would suggest looking into a group of people who will support you and your endeavors endlessly!

For me, I came to the realization that if I don’t have something that I am striving towards, then it hinders my growth. How can I become the best version of myself if I don’t have any idea of where I want to be in a few years, or what I want to do? Once I came to this realization, I allowed myself to be able to have big dreams, because those bring me happiness, and they allow me to imagine the best for myself. We as people all deserve to want the best for ourselves, which is why we should all remind ourselves that it’s okay to want more. It’s okay to dream big and think of all of the possibilities that are available for us in this life.

Everyone, no matter who they are, has a dream or a goal that they want to achieve, especially with the challenging but exciting times of and college life and newfound adulthood. There is no doubt in my mind that something unique to every individual came to mind immediately when talking about dreams and goals. Follow that, and I promise that you’ll be on a fulfilling path to success.

Sincerely, 

Another Dreamer 

Images: Cover, 1

Brezaja is a sophomore studying film in the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. When not writing articles for Her Campus at VCU, you can usually find them endlessly browsing Netflix or checking social media, mostly Instagram and Twitter. They try to be as open-minded as possible, and don't mind having conversations with others about social issues. After college, they dream of being an art director for films.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!