An Open Letter to College Students Taking 19 Credits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To the college student taking 19 credits,

How ya doing, friend? Do you need anything? Coffee? A hug? A break? Anything at all? I ask for two reasons; one, because I care about you and your well-being and two, because you deserve a little pampering after taking on all that work.

I know that taking 19 credits is not easy. You are probably crazy stressed, running off of caffeine and a less than adequate amount of sleep, all the while trying your darndest to maintain your GPA and social life. Not only that, but, like a lot of college students, you are also probably holding down a job (or two) and worrying about everything from your mental health to paying your rent. If you can handle all of that and still remain fairly sane, you are a force to be reckoned with! Congratulations on being an absolute powerhouse!

All joking aside, you should be so incredibly proud of yourself. If it’s working for you, keep doing it! You might be able to finish college much faster and will certainly graduate feeling like the total academic badass you obviously are. The advantages of taking 19 credits can go beyond college, too. Proving that you can handle a large workload is a profitable skill that many employers will appreciate, giving you the advantage of being seemingly more hirable and efficient. You are working hard to achieve your goals and you deserve nothing but praise for it!

However, despite its potential advantages, please recognize if/when taking 19 credits gets to be too much. Although it might seem like the right choice, if you get overwhelmed easily or feel as though you simply do not have enough time to handle an extra class or two, it is not worth putting your mental or physical health at risk. If either one is put in jeopardy, it can seriously inhibit other areas of your life, hurting more than just your grades. It is understandable to be eager to get ahead, but always consider if taking 19 credits is worth it before you dive in. I promise you, you will thank yourself in the long run.

College is stressful. No matter how many credits you take, remember that you most likely will only go through it once. Take it all in. Breathe, relax, have fun. Immerse yourself in as many things as you can handle, but try to maintain a healthy sleep schedule at the same time. Keep working toward your goals and never, ever give up. If you start to struggle, recognize that there is no shame in asking for help. Reach out to campus resources, your friends or your loved ones. Always know that you are not alone! Don’t take yourself too seriously. Most importantly, love yourself and those around you. 

Good luck with the rest of the semester, you smart cookie you! You can do anything you set your mind to! Don’t give up!

With much love and admiration,

A friendly, fellow overwhelmed college student

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!