This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Lately, one trend has been taking over fashion blogs by storm. The “one item” challenge is where one staple item, a jacket, scarf, skirt, etc. is used with three different, versatile outfits.

Recently I tackled this challenge myself—I took my denim jacket (basic I know, but you can never go wrong with one) and styled it (or at least tried to) with three different outfits.

Denim jackets are great for layering over a dress in the spring and summer or as a chic layer under a coat in the fall and winter. If the denim jacket in your closet hasn’t seen the light of day in a while—maybe you forgot just how versatile it is, or maybe it just got buried under all the other trends—now is the time to dust that jacket off for future looks!

Red Crop Top With Flowy Pants

Since it is spring, and during this time I like a lot of florals and flowy looks, my first look was a cute red crop top with flowy pants (with pockets!) paired with my oh so versatile light denim jacket. To top off the look, I paired this outfit with a brown chunky heel.  This look is honestly my favorite out of all three, and something like it is great for when you want to add a pop of color and look cute at the same time!

Floral Romper

Do you remember the line in “The Devil Wears Prada” where Miranda Priestly sarcastically replies to a fashion editor who suggested doing an editorial on florals for spring? “Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking.” Miranda’s snarky comment is what came to mind when I was putting together this next outfit—a floral romper, cute sandals and, of course, my trusty denim jacket. Even though florals are not the most groundbreaking for the spring, they are a timeless match, and everyone is thinking it. Pairing a romper or a dress with a denim jacket is perfect for when you want to be a little fancy but not too fancy.

Striped Shorts and White Buttoned Top

The third outfit I styled was a pair of striped shorts and a white buttoned top. I paired the outfit with some cute sandals and, of course, the denim jacket. This outfit is something I would definitely wear on a picnic with some friends! An outfit like this is casual, fun and perfect for a breezy spring day!

A simple denim jacket is a perfect addition to any outfit. It is versatile and can be the finishing touch for almost any outfit. It can be worn with your best dress or even with more denim! If you really want a denim jacket to stand out, you can opt for a colorful one. Different brands are upping their denim jacket game by offering them in green, pink and even purple. You can opt for a shade more appropriate for the season, so for the spring, go with a light wash blue or white denim, and for the fall, try orange. Dare to be different!

Tara is a junior HPEX health science major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes hanging out with friends and family, trying out new places to eat and scrolling through dog videos in her free time.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!