This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Everyone’s favorite 2017 YouTube girlie just went public with her relationship with singer Tucker Pillsbury, better known as Role Model. Their relationship wasn’t a secret but it was very private. The couple did an interview and photoshoot with GQ to officially announce their relationship in an intimate, controlled setting. 

“A hard launch? Totally,” Chamberlain said to GQ. “This is hard-launch vibes.”

Chamberlain and Pillsbury have been dating since March 2020 but did not appear together in public until months later. It was pretty well known before this interview that the two were dating, especially after Role Model released “blind” which clearly describes Chamberlain. He then released several other songs that were about Chamberlain including the song “neverletyougo” which features her in the music video. 

The couple also shared a post last Halloween hinting at their relationship in a photo with Pillsbury’s face cut off. The two wearing matching costumes of the twins from “The Shining” was the beginning of their Instagram soft launch.

The couple’s first public appearance was at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party early last year, but their most recent public appearance was at the Spotify Best New Artist party at the beginning of February. This was a few days before the hard launch and acted as a hint of what was to come for the couple.

We also finally know why they kept their not-so-secret relationship a secret. In the GQ interview, Pillsbury says the reason he kept his career separate from Chamberlain’s was that he didn’t want people to think he was piggybacking his fame off of hers. By doing this the two were able to build separate public identities before this launch.

This launch also included a video interview with GQ where Chamberlain and Pillsbury quizzed each other on facts about themselves. The entire video is very flirty and it was a refreshing sight to see Chamberlain and Pillsbury interacting with each other. My favorite moments from the video were Pillsbury knowing all of Chamberlain’s tattoos and him describing her daily workout as “get the body right for summer.” I also loved that Pillsbury calls Chamberlain’s dad “CP.” Chamberlain’s dad is a painter whose Instagram is Chamberlain Paintings which they abbreviate to CP. It is very clear from her YouTube videos that Chamberlain is super close with her parents, so this was a very cute moment. 

Pillsbury has since released a music video after this hard launch for his new song “a little more time.” He shared on his Instagram that Chamberlain filmed the music video further cementing them as the new “it” couple.

One thing I noticed about this couple’s dynamic is that they give the same vibe as Devon Lee Carlson and Jesse Rutherford. It seems like Emma Chamberlain and Role Model are going to be the new generation of rockstar boyfriend and fashion girlfriend. This hard launch will change the relationship announcement game and everyone is going to have to try to match the perfection of this soft launch turned hard launch.

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.