Nostalgic Shows From Your Childhood that You Forgot About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When we think about our childhoods, so many different background stories and cultures come into play. However, when it comes to mass media, such as television, most of us share a common fond memory of the shows we would spend our weekends or after school hours watching. Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

Let’s start with Cartoon Network:

1. Ed, Edd, n Eddy 

Probably one of the more popular shows that everyone remembers. These three friends were always up to some mischievous planning and were notorious practical jokers. How could we forget “Plank,” one of the most beloved characters on the show?

2. Courage The Cowardly Dog

Courage was always warning his owners about the strange happenings at their home. It usually took many, many attempts to warn them before they actually understood what their dog was getting at, though. By then it was usually too late, and Courage was always the one who would end up coming to their rescue. 

3. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo was a true ladies man. He had it all. His daily adventures were seriously funny and entertaining, and he had a pretty iconic sense of style, if you ask me!

4. Dexter’s Laboratory

Young mad scientist Dexter was always coming up with new experiments and arguing with his sister Dee Dee in the process. It was always a fun time to see how his inventions would unfold and affect others around him — and how they would often end up backfiring.

5. Cow and Chicken

Cow and Chicken give many nostalgic feelings. It is one of the older cartoons that some may feel intense nostalgia for. These two brothers always had new adventures that would keep us entertained.

6. The Powerpuff Girls 

These sisters were always busy fighting off super villains and trying their best to maintain peace in the city. The Powerpuff Girls is a personal favorite because they were just so CUTE! And they kicked ass, which is just as amazing.

7. Tom and Jerry

This is definitely an oldie but goodie. I can say with confidence that many of us enjoyed watching these two go at it, and then try to figure out new ways to torture each other.

8. Codename: Kid’s Next Door

My fondest memories from this show would be the witty comments that number 5 would make. These kids never failed to make me laugh, and it secretly made me want to become part of their team.

9. Samurai Jack 

I think it’s safe to say that we all appreciated this show, because who doesn’t like a story about a samurai?

10. Justice League 

Justice League was another great show. So many superheroes in one show! Wonder Woman was one of my personal favorites, of course. Who doesn’t love her?

Now, onto the classic Nickelodeon TV shows:

1. Rugrats 

A show about talking babies and a mean older sibling who seeks wreak havoc into their lives? Definitely sounds a bit strange, but a classic nonetheless.

2.  All That 

I definitely remember belting out the theme song to this show at the top of my lungs, as do many other people growing up with this show. The skits were hilarious, and it’s actually impressive when I think about how young these kids were at the time to be part of such a good show.

3. Rocket Power

This show always left me wanting to learn how to surf and skateboard. I felt like I was a cool kid just for watching this, to be honest.

4. Hey Arnold

Angelica and Arnold, one of animated tv’s most recognizable couples-to-be. My only question is why was his head shaped like a football?

5. Rocko’s Modern Life

Another golden staple in ’90s nickelodeon television.

6. Kenan and Kel

These two were such a good pair, I loved anything they made together, including their movie Goodburger!

7. CatDog

The concept of this show sounds really messed up — granted, it kind of is when you think about it — but I, along with many other people, thoroughly enjoyed watching whatever mess that these two (one?) got into.

8. The Amanda Show

This is another show that had an iconic theme song. If you think about it, this show was kind of like the youth’s version of SNL. The lines from its skits were definitely memorable and recited even today.

9. Invader Zim

Who could forget Invader Zim?

10. As Told by Ginger

Another classic show! I’m pretty sure I know the theme song by heart.

I know that there are many, many more shows to add to this list, but I hope that while scrolling through, you felt the intense nostalgia hit and think about the good ol’ days of little responsibilities and the simpler times where you could watch TV and not have a million other things to do.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Brezaja is a sophomore studying film in the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. When not writing articles for Her Campus at VCU, you can usually find them endlessly browsing Netflix or checking social media, mostly Instagram and Twitter. They try to be as open-minded as possible, and don't mind having conversations with others about social issues. After college, they dream of being an art director for films.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!