New Music You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Along with chilly weather, boots, scarves and Starbucks seasonal drinks, this autumn season also brings us some really awesome music. Many artists have picked this season to debut their latest albums. Here are a few artists that many collegiettes will enjoy.

LADY GAGA: ARTPOP

We all know her hit single Applause, but this album has a very upbeat and dance-y vibe and with songs like Aura, Venus, Sexxx Dreams, Do What U Want, G.U.Y. and Gypsy, you won’t want to stop dancing!

LORDE: Pure Heroine

Lorde is fairly new to the music scene, but you may know her from her song, Royals. The 16 year-old New Zealand native recently released her debut album, Pure Heroine. Lorde has a very unique and captivating voice that draws you in. Recommended for collegiettes: Tennis Courts, Ribs, Buzzcut Season and Team.

Katy Perry: PRISM

Katy’s new album brings you a bit of everything. This is definitely a feel-good album that incorporates different influences. Recommended for collegiettes: Legendary Lovers, Dark Horse, Birthday, Unconditionally, Walking On Air and Double Rainbow.

Pentatonix: PTX, VOL. 2

This a capella group has been getting a lot of exposure lately with their Evolution of Beyoncé video and their Daft Punk medley. The group recently released their second EP, PTX, Vol. 2. With their clever arrangements of popular songs like Can’t Hold Us, I Need Your Love and Valentine, PTX Vol. 2 will be sure to give you a musical eargasm.

CHVRCHES: The Bones Of What You Believe

This up and coming Scottish synth-pop band has been making strides and will be performing at The National on November 29th. Recommended for collegiettes: The Mother We Share, Gun, Recover and Lies.

To listen to all these albums for free you can stream them on Spotify. If you don’t have an account you can sign up here.

Portia, is a 22 year old Senior majoring in Cinema and double minoring in General Business and Media Studies at VCU. She transferred from The University of Hawaii at Leeward Community College, after graduating in 2012 with an Associate in Science in Television Production. Portia has a passion for all things art related, asian cuisine, traveling, and Bollywood movies.  In the future, she aspires to one day return to Hawaii and direct and create movies of all different genres and continue her passion for the arts.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.