Natalie Morales

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Natalie Morales

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Major: Theater Performance

Zodiac: Gemini

Hometown: Herndon,VA

What drew you to VCU?  

The theater program here is one of the best public arts programs. Also, when I came to RVA I loved the art scene and the murals. I liked the idea of being in a city as opposed to a campus in the middle of nowhere. And I liked the vibes!

When and how did you realize your passion for acting? 

Acting has been in my life as long as I can remember. I would do shows in elementary school and impressions for my family. On a subconscious level I definitely looked up to my big sister who was also in theater. I realized it was my passion when I grew older and cognoscente of whom I wanted to be as a person. I realize acting is a good way for me to explore my own humanity and navigate my moral code as it relates to the world. It’s fun and I’m good at it, so that’s bonus!

What do you love about the performing arts program? 

I love the freedom and encouragement students receive to explore all aspects of theater. We take classes like makeup, stagecraft, musical theater and vocal extremes so we have every opportunity to find things to be passionate about. I love SALT shows (Shafter Alliance Laboratory Theater), they are student run shows performed at Shafer Street Playhouse. They are always free and really unique!

What’s your favorite past role you protrayed? 

I recently played Hedda Gabler just for a scene in one of my acting classes. It presented new challenges because she’s from the 1880s and she’s wicked and cruel woman. But I had a lot of fun bringing truth to that and honestly experiencing being such a different person from myself. And I most enjoyed getting and do things I would never do in real life.

What’s been your best theater experience so far? 

I was lucky enough to tour with By the Bi, a new show written by 2 recent VCU graduates. We were admitted to the International Dublin Gay Theater Festival. We performed the show for 2 weeks in Dublin and met actors from around the world! It was absolutely the hardest production I’ve ever been. It was emotionally tolling as well as physically tolling. It was crazy but by far the most rewarding productions I’ve done.

What other activities do you enjoy outside school?

I practice yoga! My passion for yoga parallels my passion for acting. I first started doing it about 4 years and my love for it snowballed. Last summer I completed a 200-hour program and now I’m a certified yoga instructor. I teach free classes from time to time at Shafer Street Playhouse. I hope to teach at Cary St. Gym too!

Favorite spot in RVA?  

I love going to the river. I’m a river rat.

What would you tell someone on the outside about being in theater performance? 

I’m sorry we are always being so extra but also you’re welcome.

Tell us about the show you’re working on now.

Mime Over Matter” is an original production directed by Breezy Potter and Michael Oppenheimer. It’s a mime inspired piece (no words) and it addresses a lot of present day social issues. It does get very serious but we also find areas of relief and light heartedness. Its showing for free at Shafer Street Playhouse on Oct. 23 and 24 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 26 at 8:30 p.m! 

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!